Forums
Search

Plants being eaten at the base.

I planted a nice garden this year, got all my plants in and covered the ground with newspaper and lots of leaves, to keep weed growth out or at least to a minimum.
I have had 3 lettuce, one kohl rabi, and now a zucchini plant fall prey to being eaten off at the base of the plant. Don't know what insect is doing it. Any ideas?

The usual suspect is cutworms, but I've never seen them go after lettuce or vine veggies. You maybe got a rabbit, or deer.

Like (0 likes)
So are the entire tops missing? Or just that the plant is "cut" off at the base? Like Peter said, if that is the case, cut worms it is.

If the whole works is missing, I would suspect hassenfeffer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I don't know, this early in the spring I'de think
slugs, voles or rabbits. Slugs ate ALL my peas
broccoli and cabbage...then came the voles (and they will eat anything green this early) lastly mr hoppy.

Like (0 likes)
Claude, try putting an onion bulb about every 6 inches or so in the row. Works for me with the tunneling critters. I do this with beans and peas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
ok Mumsey...I'll give it a try. Thanks

Like (0 likes)
CLAUDE, don't forget to sprinkle those crushed eggshells around the plants. Slugs can't crawl over them. It cuts them up with the sharp edges.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
I second the advice that if the plants are cut off at the base, but the plant top is still there, Cutworms are the culprit & you need to replant, using some type of collar (I use waxed paper Dixie Cups cut into thirds) buried around each plant stem.

If the plants are cut off at the base but the plant top is totally or partially missing, then you have a larger predator - rabbit, groundhog, deer, etc. In that case I'd go with floating row covers where possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image