Forums
Search

and for all you Monsanto people out there

Excerpts from an article in the financial section. For the full article, see http://www.google.com/hostedne...yJsubT5TNuwD9EUG1FO0

"KANSAS CITY, Mo. — When Monsanto said three years ago it would double its annual profit by 2012, the company was making a bold bet on its future — selling biotech seeds rather than old-line chemicals."

"Now, the company's past is catching up with it. And the future of biotech seed is looking tougher than imagined."

"Chief Executive Hugh Grant said...that Monsanto won't likely hit its 2012 goal. The reason is twofold. Unexpected losses in the herbicide division are dragging down the rest of the company, and farmers don't seem willing to pay a premium price for next-generation biotech seeds."

"The St. Louis-based company said Wednesday its second quarter profit fell 19 percent to $887 million, or $1.60 per share. That's down from $1.09 billion, or $1.97 per share, in the same period a year ago."

"Monsanto was caught off guard by generic competition against its popular herbicide Roundup. Chinese companies flooded the market with cheap varieties."

"Grant said farmers appear unwilling to pay premium prices for the company's new lines of biotech seeds, some of which are twice as expensive as the varieties most farmers grow today."

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

I am so glad to hear that! Monsanto is the DEVIL! I can write books on the evil that company does and not just about gardening either. They make tons of chemical that I use for my job that are just plain evil!

Like (0 likes)
What kind of job do you have? Working the gas chamber at a death camp? That is a truely evil use of chemicals. Chemicals are inert and without souls or morals and can't be "evil". They can be used in evil ways by evil people.

I have found that it is rare to meet a truely evil person and I am leary of using the label for those I diasagree with. Some people feel that gmo seed can help solve problems. We can say that they are wrong and give science research based reasons why, which is a better way of being heard than just calling names.

Like (0 likes)
It's easy to anthropomorphize a company and for good reason. Many take on the "personality" of their leadership. Google has one personality. Monsanto has another. But you are right about this, GardenDmpls. Evil is a pretty harsh characterization especially when you consider the many thousands of employees at Monsanto (or other company of your choosing). On the other hand, we see a lot of hyperbole coming from critics of our country's leadership and not much is said to quash that. I'll cut JPSHEEHN a little slack being the new person and all.

I got pretty fired up watching Food, Inc. too. I just think there is a positive spin on it as I've mentioned in another post.

Bill

Like (0 likes)
I think Monsanto is evil. They made Agent Orange and PCBs and covered the evidence that many people (a whole town) were sick and dying because of PCBs.
http://www.organicconsumers.org/monlink.cfm

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
Hi All,
You may want to read this interesting article on the topic Jeremy brought up about Monsanto being evil.
http://www.seventhgeneration.c...onsanto-evil-company

Best to all,
Theresa

http://tendingmygarden.com

zone 7b - Virginia in the Chesapeake Bay area

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by GardenDmpls:
What kind of job do you have? Working the gas chamber at a death camp? That is a truely evil use of chemicals. Chemicals are inert and without souls or morals and can't be "evil". They can be used in evil ways by evil people.

I have found that it is rare to meet a truely evil person and I am leary of using the label for those I diasagree with. Some people feel that gmo seed can help solve problems. We can say that they are wrong and give science research based reasons why, which is a better way of being heard than just calling names.

I am an aircraft and jet engine mechanic. Monsanto makes a lot of chemical for use in things other than agriculture.

They make several chemicals used in airplanes. One of them is a hydraulic fluid called Skydrol.

Skydrol when it first come out was considered safe and of course after a few years of use the REAL true comes out like it always does and the link it to TONS of cancers and birth defeats.

Skydrol burns your skin like a sunburn if you get any on you. I would get sick from even inhaling the stuff and I wear a respirator mask if I ever have to use the stuff. It smells sickly sweet and it burns your lungs when you inhale it. How can anything like that even be remotely safe for you! Come on!

Did I also mention that Monsanto later on ADMITTED that they know the stuff is bad for humans?

And guess what Skydrol is STILL IN USE TODAY thanks to Monsanto having the FDA and FAA in their deep money filled pockets paying people off.

I also live about 20 mile from a Monsanto chemical plant. They sometimes test some of their chemical there.... ever see ground zero after an atom bomb... that is exactly what the surrounding area looks like!

Yes I know that chemicals themselves have no "soul" to speak off. But that is kind of looking a things from a more metaphysical viewpoint than a scientific one.

Did you mean the original post to be in a metaphysical light? If so it sure doesn't read that way to me.

Sorry but I still say Monsanto *is* EVIL and so are most of the chemicals they produce. The local whistle blowers that you sometime see on the news here are quickly dealt with by the companies lawyers. Heck they are even lucky to make it on the news AT ALL most of the time.

Yes thousands of people work for Monsanto. Thousand of Nazi soldiers were also drafted into the german army. Does that make there actions somehow "acceptable" because innocent people worked for both groups?

So are we now changing the topic to a political metaphysical debate because I used the words Monsanto is evil?

Like (0 likes)
What I meant is that evil has a different connotation than dangerous or deadly. It implies a spiritual condition that applies to humans, not things. The Cyclon B gas which was used to murder my relatives was deadly. The people who used it to snuff out innocents were evil. I find that one can be more convincing if he uses scientific proofs liberally and emotionally charged labels sparingly. It makes their arguments more difficult to be written off as coming from a "long haired, wild eyed radical" (sorry, I heard that used a lot in the 60's.

You are right when you say that actions are still not acceptable when innocents are involved. I think rather than attacking a company name, it would make sense to go after the specific people responsible for bad decisions, as in "CEO Jane Doe and engineer Richard Roe decided to hide the evidence that Jolly Juice contained deadly nightshade toxins."

By the way, as an historical aside, many (though not all) of the soldiers used in the mass shootings of innocents were so badly affected that the Nazis started a special division of the SS to take over the "ethnic cleansing" (a euphemism for "murder in cold blood") from them. This way, the divisions of soldiers could be sent to battles where they were needed and the sadistic sociopaths could find useful employment destroying whole communities. They were the really evil ones.

Like (0 likes)
I just call them Monsteranto. I think that says it all. Monseranto, Cargill & ADM are the axis of evil.

Planning to be a Cancer survivor!!! No trees were killed or animals harmed in the sending of this message; however a great many electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image