Forums
Search

Can you patch a soaker hose?

There are two small pinholes in my 2-month old soaker hose. It's as if a snake bit it to get some water. Now it's a geyser hose, but I don't really have a use for one of those. Is it bound for the landfill or is there any way to repair it?

I have patched bigger holes in soaker hoses with silicone bathtub caulk and then I wrapped the area with plastic electrical tape to reinforce the area. I let it cure for a day before putting the tape on. I had very good luck and it is better than just sending the whole thing to a land fill.

What have you got to loose? Give it a try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
why not something like this

Like (0 likes)
Thanks ourdoor!

Like (0 likes)
I've done similarly to what Major's done to his punctured hoses. Only I used duct tape after I caulked. I use duct tape for everything. Everything. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
LOL Duct tape works great.

And I have used the repair that ourdoor shows too and that works great also when I was able to get to the hardware store to get one. We live in a small town of 600 people and the big hardware store is about 35 miles away so I can't just run down there every time I need something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
Duct tape for me too. I didn't bother with the caulking, I just cleaned up the hose well and made sure it was dry before bandaging it with duct tape.

[i]Mulch where you can Till if you have to Weed when you must It's all part of the plan[/i].
Like (0 likes)
When I was still using soaker hose I was having this problem, and I came up with a good way of fixing, that never popped out (just more holes kept happening!) - take some polyurethane glue (like gorrila glue) and force some into the hole, using a small amount on a finger (in a vinyl or latex glove, of course). The great thing about this is that the glue cures from contact with moisture, so if the hose is damp, no problem - in fact, it should be. It will foam up and fill in the hole in several hours.

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
I do what ourdoor showed...except I roll my own. What I call a "double nipple" -- short piece with both ends barbed, plus a couple hose clamps. Might be a few cents more then the Gilmour kit, but it's easy and very sure fitting.

See the link for a pic of the double nipple:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_pr...Hose+Barb+Connectors

Like (0 likes)
I have heard of inserting a toothpick (or matchstick) into the hole and breaking it off. The wood will swell to sit tight in the hole. With my soaker hose, I have wrapped leaky areas with garden twine, which spreads out the water so it acts like the rest of the hose. I have used the gilmore thingie to splice a regular hose. Testerday I bought the double nipple thing, which came with clamps, to repair a drip hose whose leak had outgrown the twine wrapping. I'll let you know how it works.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image