Forums
Search

Dawn Dish Soap For Soap Spray

Is it safe to use Dawn dish soap to make a soap spray. 1 teaspoon to 12 quart of water is what I've read.

Live, Love & Garden, veggie gal

Coastal Newport Beach, CA, Zone 10b

A detergent like Dawn, is not a soap like Dr. Bonners; for manufacture of insecticidal soap spray. FWIW a few flakes off a bar of Ivory would be better.

Apples and oranges...

[hr]Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains.
Like (0 likes)
Would liquid Ivory soap be OK.
I look online for Dr. Bonners and that site says the soap has lavender in it. It that the right soap.

Like (0 likes)
Will Fels-Naptha work

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by veggie gal:
Will Fels-Naptha work

If my choice was between dawn, and fels-naptha, fels would win hands down.

But lavender isn't gonna hurt anything.

Now, thats a boy-thing... Wink

[hr]Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains.
Like (0 likes)
Dr Bronners is great soap to use. I've used it for years. A little goes a long way. It's organic pure castille soap made with vegetable oils and essential oils. There is a lavender, peppermint eucalyptus and maybe a couple of other flavors.

I have also used ivory when it was biodegradable. Is it still? Any biodegradable soap/dish soap/detergent will work fine, but in my opinion the cleaner the soap the better- especially with food crops.

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
veggie-gal

I've been gardening "on-line" since 1991 - and I've lost count of the incidences
"HELP I sprayed my plants with soap and their dying!"

actually it usually turns out to be a detergnt, not a soap.
and sometimes it's a soap with "extras"

use detergents at your own risk. there are no "safe" ones because today the factory uses formulation X and next month formulation Y.

for soap spraying your garden veggies, and flowers for that matter, stick with a soap.
I buy the Safers Insecticidal soap. costs money, but not as much as losing the garden.
or make your own.
or use something like Ivory bar - not liquid. make a batch and TEST it on your plants _before_ spraying everything.

Like (0 likes)
VG--I am so cheap, that I squeek. I take the bits and pieces of left over bar soap (the nice slivers-not deodorant soap) throw it into a jar of water and make my own liquid soap for the bugs. It works well, I just use a penny size drop in a quart of a TBL in the gallon sprayer.

Like (0 likes)
I use Murphy's Oil Soap. Or Dr. Bronners. But Dr. Bronners is quite expensive. I splurge on that once in a while.

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
Dawn is a detergent, not a soap although labeling requirements today do not distinguish between them. Dawn, along with all the other detergents, is made from non renewable resources. I know people that used Dawn, or other detergents, to make Insecticidal Soaps only to find they did not help control the plant pests but did burn the plants foliage. However at the dilution you have, 1 teaspoon to 12 quarts of water, there would be very little concern about either one since that would be too weak to either kill and insect or harm any plant.
Most good sources about making an Insecticidal Soap spray says to mix 2 tablespoons of soap to 1 gallon of water or about 1 teaspoon per quart of water. A mixture of 1 percent soap has been found to be most effective and if yo look at the labels of most commercial IS products it lists 1 percent mix of the fatty acids of phosphorus as the active ingrediant.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
I have used dish detergent for emulsion purposes, but not in the amounts needed to kill insects. In those amounts, it would probably damage the plants, as Kimm noted. I have been using Method Go Naked dish detergent in my kitchen for a few years now, even since Cook's Illustrated top rated it for cleaning dishes, and it does work great, with no odors. It is also a supposedly "green" item (I really don't like that term, but for lack of better one...), being biodegradable and made from renewable recources, and no aromas - the thing I like about it. It emulsifies incredibly well (the reason it cleans greasy dishes so well) , which is what I use it for, when making a home brew of oil, garlic, rosemary, and sometimes other things. Unfortunately, it seems unavailable now...maybe somebody bought them out? Lucky I bought a case of it...

Another natural detergent came in second in their test that might also work well on your plants - Seventh Generation Free and Clear. If these items clean better, why do they keep putting petroleum by-products in dish detergent? Oh yeah...I forgot. Money.

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
I ended up buying a bar of Kirk's Castile soap. Only thing in it is coconut soap, water vegetable glycerin and coconut oil. No animal by products or synthetic detergents and is biodegradable...So I think this will be OK...Grated off some into very hot water. After it cooled and was well mixed up I sprayed where needed. Checking out my veggies this morning and they look fine. I will check again after the sun has been on them..

Like (0 likes)
a great choice!

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
Thank you...

Like (0 likes)
I followed a Facebook "tip" of taking a Tbsp. of dishsoap to a bottle of water to spray on my tomato plants. It was Dawn! My plants are dying. How can I help them recover?

Like (0 likes)
I accidentally sprayed bush killer on forsythia and saw the label when putting up the tools. Immediately, I thoroughly hosed the forsythia with water washing as much as possible away. The forsythia overcame, but the water bath was immediately. You plants might could have been saved if immediately the soap had been washed away.

Like (0 likes)
Rinse as thoroughly as you can with plain water from a hose and hope for the best. Possibly there is a residue that is suffocating the plants hat you can wash away.

It's all I can think of.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
I have also utilized this dish soap method for pests for a good 10 years, never had plants die, never used "natural" - I also put syracha sauce and garlic in it...

now-a-days, I use netting (row covers)

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
Sorry Ranori but the damage is done ...the plants may or may not regrow more leaves. Hang in there and give them some time...
Chances are that you sprayed them in full sun and the detergent caused the leaves to burn.

Like (0 likes)
There are all kinds of "recipes" out there for mixing soap with water and many are dangerous to the plants you will be spraying, and much of the information about what these sprays will do is erroneous.
The recipe I have used for years is 1 teaspoon of soap in 1 quart of water, or about 1 tablespoon of soap per gallon of water. This soapy spray has no residual affect and so much be sprayed on the target insect. Like most any other spray this should not be sprayed during the heat of the day, early in the morning or later in the evening is best. Early morning is usually best since the insects are still not moving very well from the, usually, cooler night temperatures whereas in the evening they have had the sun to warm them up and they are very active.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image