Forums
Search

Cow Manure/Humus

I am trying to make composted saw dust into good dirt. Used a bag of "Manure" and some fertilizer and the pile, after two weeks now has a Ph of 6.5.

Went to a different store to purchase more "Manure" and they sold me Cow Manure/Humus. Checked ingredients on the bag of "Manure" and it contains cow manure and mushroom compost. This different store says they all contain humus. Soooo is the "Manure" with mushroom compost same as Cow Manure/Humus? OR maybe the question is, Is mushroom compost humus?

Can someone help me, please?

Thank you!

T Landsaw
Zone 6b, 7a
NE OK

gardeners use a lot of terms to describe their soil. Words like tilth, houmus, loam...basically I think it all means organic matter or of plant origin. You're on the right track to improving your soil...lots of organic/plant material.

the saw dust will tie up Nitrogen as it decomposes so I'd suggest adding sheep or chicken manure...both high in nitrogen thus helping the sawdust to decompose more quickly.

Hope that answers your questions. I even went to dictionary.com and looked up various spellings on humus...it's that chick pea mash stuff...but I don't think that's what you mean. Needless to say never did find it at dictionary.com.

[hr]The whole world is a narrow bridge; the important thing is not to be afraid.
Like (0 likes)
I found a definition for humus as "a brown or black complex variable material resulting from partial decomposition of plant or animal matter and forming the organic portion of soil" (Merriam-Webster online).

So I would say that the mushroom compost or anything composted (which is a nice way of saying decomposed) can be called humus. If the cow manure is composted it also can be called humus.

Does that make sense?

Like (0 likes)
And the chick pea and tahini concoction is spelled "hummus." Smiler

Like (0 likes)
You can read what OG on line says about manure, humus,+compost if you click on the "OGSoultions" headline on the page heading.

"Maybe one of the secrets of survival is to learn where to dance." Stanley Kunitz
Like (0 likes)
Humus is the residual organic matter in the soil. It is what is left after the soil bacteria digest most of what is fairly easy and what they eventually digest if no more organic matter is added over time. Improper common usage of the term "humus" has resulted in dictionaries changing the definition to be the same as organic matter, any organic matter.

Like (0 likes)
Well would humus and mushroom compost be the same?

The composted sawdust I received smelled like good dirt but after reading about compost and with help from another message board I decided it was not good dirt and needed some nitrogen, thus the manure.

Have more of just the composted sawdust and was working the manure into it and needed more manure to finish the job and when I went to buy more I was told all purchased manure contains humus. The first manure I purchased says it is 95% manure with up to 5% mushroom compost. The price is the same. Just wanted to get the most for my money, don't you know.

Thank you all for your help.

I will try to post some pics of my flowers soon.

Teresa L
Zone 6b, 7a
Heat Zone 8
NE OK ?:| ?:| ?:| ?:| Razzer

Like (0 likes)
Oh, yum! Humus Sandwiches. :^O

The recipe forum has been going a little slow lately, that should get a few, uh, interesting replies... :^O

Ambitious gardener and target shooter, formerly known as needmorespace. Studying chemistry for a better solar panel, not a better insecticide...
Like (0 likes)
If I understand you correctly that sawdust is already partially or mostly composted. If that is the case you probably donÂ’t have to do much more to it other than add other things to the garden to insure adequate nitrogen is there for the plants. I donÂ’t think that pre-composted sawdust or wood chips will take much more of the nitrogen from your garden. I just wouldnÂ’t use fresh sawdust or wood chips directly on the garden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
"would humus and mushroom compost be the same?"
That depends on which definition you want to believe. I would not classify compost as humus until it has been in the soil and partially digested and what is left would then be humus and that is part of your soils structure.

Like (0 likes)
Oh my, the semantics of it all! Smiler So then, worms create humus, right KimmSr?

Like (0 likes)
Earthworms are contributers to the level of humus in your soil, but the primary builders of humus are the soil bacteria.

Like (0 likes)
Thank you all for all your info

Yes my sawdust is mostly composted already, it smelled like beautiful dirt when I got it but I do enough about compost that you don't get good dirt from one ingredient.
I know this composted saw dust needs lots of nitrogen so that is why the composted cow manure. Actually I have access to all the fresh cow manure I can handle but wanted to plant the flower bed right now. You know how impatient gardners can be. B-)
I live in an area where there is hardly any dirt and lots of rock, lots and lots of wind, we live on a hill so we want to contain any dirt we get, so it does not wash down the hill. :O
Thanks again.
I so enjoy watching and chiming in once in awhile here. It seems you learn something each day.
T Landsaw Zone 6b, 7a, Heat Zone 8

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image