Forums
Search

How long does it take for peppers to change colors?

How long does it take for peppers to change colors?

I have some green peppers that are supposed to be yellow that have stayed the same for about a month.

What about red peppers? Do they change quicker than yellow?

(Then again maybe I was sold the wrong plant and they sold me green pepper instead of yellow pepper?)

Mine always seem to take forever. I typically cut them before they turn – I've read that harvesting will encourage the plant to produce more. If the pepper show a little blush of color, sometimes you can finish ripening it indoors – but keep checking. If the skin starts to wrinkle, it's drying out and you should use it ASAP.

Like (0 likes)
They all eventually turn color - some just take longer. Bells are usually quicker, but you will still see some very long seasons listed (the time from transplant to ripe pepper) on some of them. I have had some hots that formed full grown peppers in June, but didn't ripen until sometime into September! Needless to say I didn't grow that type again.

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
It does take a long time for peppers to ripen, which is why they cost so much in the market. It's worth the wait, though, since the flavor (and vitamin content) is much enhanced.

[hr]Jennifer in zone 10, Los Angeles, Sunset zone 22
Like (0 likes)
Hmm, I have flowers only, no (bell) peppers, on July 12th, in Missoula MT (zone 4/5). Anything I can do to hasten things along?

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by magnafix:
Hmm, I have flowers only, no (bell) peppers, on July 12th, in Missoula MT (zone 4/5). Anything I can do to hasten things along?

I had flowers only until July 8. Today, July 12, I have lots of little baby peppers coming on. I'm in Zone 4, but with just a bit more sunshine at higher altitude and lower lattitude.

For me, peppers seem to do nothing for ever, then they go off with a bang and have more than I can use.

[i]Mulch where you can Till if you have to Weed when you must It's all part of the plan[/i].
Like (0 likes)
I have red and yellow bell pepper plants, too, and mine have also been green on the vine for a long, long time. I guess you really have to be patient!

Sunset Western Zone 22
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image