Forums
Search

Why peel tomatoes for canning?

Is it nececary to peel tomatoes for canning? I was wondering about Salsa I don't peel the peepers, are the tomato skins tougher?? Are not most of the vitimans close to the skins?

Cooked tomato skins (as in canned) are quite tough and don't adhere to the tomatoes. Most folks don't like them, but if you do go ahead with non-skinning for canning. The skins are so thin that when they are blanched they come off leaving the available vitamins with the tomato.

Like (0 likes)
HI You can freeze tomatoes too. They taste great and have a better flavor than canned and it is faster too.

Like (0 likes)
How do you freeze them? Do you peel them 1st? Do you freeze them whole, or diced etc.

Like (0 likes)
Although I haven't tried this yet, I've read that you can throw them in a freezer zipper bag whole and unpeeled, then freeze. When you remove them to thaw, they peel easily and you can use them as needed. This sounds so simple, that I plan to do some this fall, as well as dehydrate double the amount from last year.

BG Smiler

Like (0 likes)
I used this method last summer and it was just great. So fast and easy. I'd thaw them out, run them through a food mill and make sauce.

Making a splash on the Kings River in Northwest Arkansas. Zone 6a
Like (0 likes)
This is the way I process tomatoes:
I wash them, cut them into chunks, put them in a large pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
After that I strain them with a food mill, then I cook the pureed tomatoes for another 20 minutes. When done, I ladle the puree in hot, sterilized jars, close them and process everything in a hot water canner.
I never need to peel the tomatoes because the peel comes off during the straining part.

Like (0 likes)
I freeze mine whole, unwashed, in single layers in whatever pans I have available. then when you partially thaw them, the skins slip right off, and if you cut them partially frozen it's easier to get a uniform size and less messy too.

this also works for peaches.

the boiling water thing works for both too, but it's one less step if you freeze them first. (and cooler in your kitchen)

Like (0 likes)
Canning is a very sterile process. You core, cutting off all green spots, and peel blanched (drop in boiling water for 2-3 mins....plunge into cold water, and peel as soon as possible) tomatoes. At this point you can can or freeze them. If you have a freezer, freeze them. If not, can them. In Fl. we don't like to heat in the summer. Another + for freezing, you can do 6 as easily as 60 tomatoes. If you make spaghitti sauce with fresh unpeeled tomatoes, you will see that the peels come off and add a strange texture to the sauce. This is another reason people peel tomatoes. Some even deseed the tomatoes. If you want to leave the skin on, I'd use those fresh, as in eat the meal today. To freeze or can, be sterile. Your family's health is worth it. This is not an area you want to cut corners with. Enjoy the bounty of your garden.

Zone 9 Melbourne, Fl. Gardening is a class in continuing education. Enjoy!
Like (0 likes)
Bump

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
[freezer zipper bag whole and unpeeled, then freeze.
I go one further. As soon as the sauce is made, an empty tomato bag goes back in the freezer, and all year, whenever I am about to loose some tomatoes to spoilage (before, of course) I toss them in the bag. I have quite a odd collection but they all work just fine.

Like (0 likes)
from this forum, I got the idea to freeze whole also. I have a vacuum sealer. I froze them first, then put into the bag to seal (otherwise the juice would squeeze out!)

I harvested my last pkg in mid may of the following year! I uses it for all sorts of sauces, marinara, enchilada, tomato, "cooked" salsa... etc.

yes, skins slip right off.

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image