Forums
Search

Zucchini, summer squash have stopped producing

My yellow squash and zucchini have been doing really well this year; I have finally been winning the war against the vine borers! However, after getting several squash from each plant, they have stopped producing female flowers. There are still some male flowers, but not as many as before. We've been getting tons of rain here for the past few weeks. Could that be the cause? Any other ideas? The plants themselves are large and lush with healthy looking leaves.

Too high heat will cause tomatoes, peppers and squash to drop blossoms and just not produce.
You will also get less blossoms if your levels of nitrogen are too high. Too much nitrogen produces lush greenery and not much else.

Like (0 likes)
It's definitely not the heat, as it's the highs lately have only been in the 80's and my tomatoes are producing like crazy. I have not fertilized recently either, so unless our rain is packed with nitrogen, I don't know what's going on.

Like (0 likes)
Pumpkins, squash are heavy feeders/drinkers; lack of deep watering or a nutrition deficiency may cause the lack of female flowers. If the plant thinks its root system or nutrition is not sufficient enough to support fruit, it will not produce. Phosphorus helps develop root system and encourages blooms. Composted manure and bone meal are natural fertilizers that contain phosphorus. Even though my area has also had heavy rains, I'm drip soaking my squash and pumpkins, and I'm feeding low-dose phosphorus weekly. Yes, they are about to take down the fence, but they are loaded with female flowers. Now, the SVB is another story....

Like (0 likes)
last year on this forum, I had the same thing happen w/ my pepper. I was advised to put bone meal w/ a little Epsom salt, which I did, and I got a bumper crop of peppers last year!

(hmmm... maybe I had better put some around my eggplant...

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
I've got lots of squash and pumpkins babies and female blooms. Now, I'm worried that the vines can't support that much fruit, and they'll either fall off or will be small and knotty. I'm still fighting the borers...so far, so good, but hoping to get through August. Mentoringmom, what are you doing to win the war against the svb?

Like (0 likes)
There are a number of reasons why the squash plants stop producing, temperature (too low or too high) is just one among many. A too wet or too dry period can stop pollination, as well as the production of female blossoms. Excess available soil Nitrogen can cause a plant to produce lots of lush green foliage at the expense of blossoms.
Bone meal can provide some needed calcium, eventually. Since that material needs to be processed by the Soil Food Web before the minerals in it are available to the plants it can take a year after application for anything of value is fed to the plants. At the usual dilutions of Epsom Salts (about 10 percent Magnesium Sulfate) there is not enough Mg to do much of anything for the plants in the garden, and because it is not in a form that plants can use and needs to be processed by the Soil Food Web any you do apply will probably not be available to the plants during the current growing season.
Very often what we think is a good, healthy looking plant is one that has been fed too much Nitrogen since we have been brainwashed to think lush and green is healthy.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
Always a worry, my pumpkins vines are still vigorous; male blooms blooming; I have bees around them, but the female blooms are not opening; I've gone out early in the mornings and checked; some blooms with the little pumpkin-babies are turning yellow; some have fallen off. Growing conditions are as they should be. I don't know anythings else to do for the plants.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image