Forums
Search

Ripening Winter Squash Off Vine?

Hi all you garden gerus. I have a question about my winter squash. They are not all the way tan yet, some green left on them. I have picked them before hard frost, washed them and set them out on a table in the barn to dry there. Will they ripen all the way in there and how long will it take? Or do wrap each one up with paper and put them in a dark place or something? Confused

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MY guru went away. ;-) Up hy're in cow-hampshire I run into the same thing at times. Mostly full sized fruit with some hint of immaturity.

The best I can tell ya is sometimes they do (ripen) an' sometimes they won't. A cool but not freezing environment works the best for me to get the last butternut and hubbard squash to ripen.

Long keeper tomatoes are more sensitive about temps and sunlight--they want it both cool and sunlight free. Hubbard and butternut tolerate sunlight pretty well.

[hr]Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains.
Like (0 likes)
Tom, if your guru is around, as her why my "early" acorn behaved so strangely. Nearly all the fruit turned out like little pumpkins, ripening from yellow to orange. Only the three fruits furthest from the garden bed (escaped under the fence) were green with yellow stripes, and those were oddly shaped, not properly pointed at all. I tried to eat one of the orange ones, and it had no seeds (about a month ago)but the flesh, though slight, was edible. Think I'll use them for halloween decor.

Like (0 likes)
You should always wait for a frost and the vine to die off before picking winter squash. It's really iffy to pick them before a frost and expect them to ripen appropriately. Like was said here, some will and some won't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
MaggieZ re: your strange acorn squash, I'm wondering about the source of your seed. If you happened to use your own seed from the previous year, you are likely to get what I call "squumpkins," because squash seeds do not typically produce fruits true to the variety.

Like (0 likes)
Eden - here's how it works for me, and I've been selling winter squash for more than a few years now.....any Butternut you harvest that has STARTED to color, will ripen. Totally immature green is only good for feeding the chickens.

If you go to the MooreHaven Gathering post, I seem to recall somewhere in the last couple-three pages you'll see part of this year's harvest laid out in the open on pallets to finish their ripen and cure that OhFly posted for me. I've finished indoors and outside both, outside in the sunshine is fastest, but if the weather is in for a stretch of wet and cool ( more than 2-3 days ), I move them into the shed.

Mumsey is right, it's best to leave them to finish on the vine....If you don't have a hard frost ....and if you don't have a wet fall....both will cause them to rot on you. There's always that late hatch of bugs to contend with also....

Long-term storage - cool-to-medium temp.s, good air flow around them, dry. Be sure to leave an inch or two of stem when harvesting. Always eat blemished squash first as it has the highest likelyhood of spoiling soonest.

Maggie - Either you had mislabled seed or a pollination cross, either in your own garden or the seed grower. I've grown Butternuts shaped like pumpkins when grown next to each other. A couple years ago it was albino acorns grown too close to Lumina pumpkins This year it was Spaghetti/Acorns......hahahaha !!! Wink

If you can grow food, you have a cosmic obligation to feed those that can't.
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image