Forums
Search

Mulberry tree is ruining my backyard LIFE! Please help me anyone?!

ughh where do i even BEGIN?!

i am at near wits end with these berries... basically, my neighbor has this mulberry tree. it hangs over MY yard and covers everything in white berries. the berries sit so high that when they fall from the tree, they splat onto everything, leaving this vomit-esque scent. they mold over. all over my rear patio, my flowers, my little fountain. EVERYTHING. they are killing my plants, and have caused a MASSIVE (not exaggerating) infestation of flies. it is digusting, and the flies are so bad that they are now coming into the house. my wonderful plants, that i have spent many hours on each growing from seed, are now calling it quits.

i am not lying when i say i am actually becoming disheartened and very depressed over this, as i fight with depression and gardening is one of the few things that makes me truly happy.

i have tried a number of remedies, including the bowls of water and listerine in a bottle, and NOTHING works. i do sweep up what i can, but the tree is so huge, there is no fighting them. plus, i cant get to them in time before they kill my plants. i have no idea what to do. the tree coming down/being chopped down is not an option.

anyone? help? ugh.

Can you complain to the city or county? Sounds like a health hazard. UGH !
Or could you and the neighbor negotiate a big pruning?

Like (0 likes)
I feel for you. It's hard to have something you work so hard for messed up. If it was my yard, I'd be hacking back the parts of the tree that hang over my yard.

Just as a side note, this sounds nothing like a mulberry. Mulberries are more reddish purple and while they may go splat, they certainly don't smell bad. I'm pretty sure mulberries would not be enough to kill other plants.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Check with your city council representative (or whomever is the equivalent in your area) for ordinances specific to your city, but in many areas you have the legal right to prune the parts of a neighbor's tree that hang over onto your property. Have you spoken to your neighbor about that option? I'd try that first, since if s/he agrees, you don't need an ordinance and it might better preserve neighborly harmony. But if they are indifferent to your concerns, get a copy of the ordinance and prune away. Even if you prune back half the tree, it should still be fine. Mulberry trees are resilient in my experience. (Though I agree with topofthehill that it doesn't sound like a mulberry tree to me, unless it's some variety I'm unfamiliar with. The purple ones are messy, but not smelly or moldy.)

Like (0 likes)
It's all in how you approach this. Figure out how to start a dialog about the litter from the tree. Tell her that while it is against your nature to have a tree taken down, the litter is becomming a nusense and you would like the tree
trimmed so that it doesn't dump all the debris on your side. If it's driving you crazy, chances are it's not much fun for her either.
DL has it right, negotiate a big pruning!

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Just as a side note, this sounds nothing like a mulberry. Mulberries are more reddish purple and while they may go splat, they certainly don't smell bad. I'm pretty sure mulberries would not be enough to kill other plants.

It is a Morus Alba: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.c.../WhiteMulberry.2.jpg

Like (0 likes)
I appreciate the advice, everyone! I can tell you, though, that this is a group house of 20-30 year olds who definitely don't give a crap about this tree. They are kind of the... non-friendly type. Lets just say I live in DC in a not-so-safe neighborhood. In my case, should I contact my landlord maybe? I don't know what to do.

Like (0 likes)
also, i think its the rotting mulberries that are killing the plants. they seem to begin to rot within hours of falling from the tree.

Like (0 likes)
Heck, you have it made! The neighbors could not care less about the tree!

Hack the part on your side off, don't even bat an eyelash while doing it. Yeah, call the landlord, then yawn, then just go out there and start hacking!

You live in DC, no problem, trust me!

The law is here in MD and VA and DC, it's on my property, I don't like it, off or out it comes. No Big Deal.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Yup, I'm with lisaann -- get or borrow a good pair of loppers and go for it. (If you need the extension type to reach up high, I bet you can rent those at Home Depot or some such place.) Sounds like the neighbors probably won't even notice. Your landlord will probably thank you! (Heck, if your landlord is the handy-man type, ask him to do it! He might even have the equipment. Worst case scenario, he says he can't/won't and you just do it yourself.)

Like (0 likes)
Do the neighbors own the property with the tree? If not, your interaction should be with their landlord.

And, unless you show it is a health problem, since you do not own the property where you live, perhaps the only one with legal standing is your landlord, the owner of the property.

Wayne

Adirondackgardener

Mainegardener

Trying out Northeast PA.

Like (0 likes)
I would prune everything hanging over your property. As they say "it is easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission." If anyone complains, then you can explain your actions. But it puts the onus on others to complain which it does not sound like anyone will do.

Like (0 likes)
I would try to find out who owns the neighboring property. If there is a landlord explain to them that it would be much more unsightly to prune the limbs back to a main trunk or limb and it would also be better for the tree. If you prune to the property line you will more than likely end up with a lot of unsightly stubs staring at you.

Experienced By Doing
Like (0 likes)
Other advice nothwithstanding, since you're a renter & not the owner of the property, you can't just start lopping away at the tree. You need to contact your landlord about it. Only he can authorize that something be done - & make sure you get that something in writing, & also double-check with your local zoning department. You might also want to contact the landlord of the property the tree is actually growing on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
Good heavens, where are the birds? There are no mulberries on the ground here. The birds and animals scoop them up mainly before they even fall. You need birds. The white mulberries are so the bird poop doesn't stain.

God Almighty first planted a garden. And indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures. Francis Bacon

Virginia  Zone 7

Like (0 likes)
You definitely can cut off the parts of the tree that hang over the fence on your side, especially if your lease agreement says you are responsible for yard maintenance or will leave the property in the condition you found it and it was trimmed when you moved in.

But why not collect the berries, and if you are really sure they are mulberries and are edible, cook, freeze,, make wine or jelly from them? Spread a tarp underneath the branches, hang it from a rope hammock, collect and save the clean berries every day or two. There are lots of recipes online for these. Makes great holiday presents.

it only drops berries for a month or so, right? It's not an all-year thing.

============= Love your soil.....feed your worms... (Used to be Sweetpea, contributing here since 2002)
Like (0 likes)
I am a landlord and my husband and I would certainly trim a tree hanging over our tenant's property and causing a mess. We have ladders and trimming equipment. However we would first contact the neighbor's landlord to see if it was a problem for them. We have done this in the past with neighbor's trees hanging over our houses/yards and have never had one say no. Good luck.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
hi all, and thanks so much for your responses. now the problem seems to be the flies. i am at wits end and am considering moving because this has gotten so bad. i have not received any action or response from the landlord.

as far as unsightliness goes, i would rather stare amorously at some stubs than this ungodly mess. just take a look. i laid out flytraps yesterday around 8pm, and i took this around noon today... you can see the flies eating the berries on the ground, see how many of the berries have fallen?

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image