Forums
Search

Use of perlite as a seed starter medium?

Any comments on using 100% perlite (or vermiculite) as a seed starting medium to eliminate any damping off problems? And then start using compost tea to fertilize after the seedlings have developed their first true set of leaves.

A good seed starting mix is equal amounts of perlite and compost. You can also use equal amounts of perlite, compost and peatmoss.

Like (0 likes)
I put all of my containers through the dishwasher. I use a soiless mix with a 1/4" - 1/2" vermiculite mulch. I haven't had damping off problems. I've only seen it in pictures. B-)

Like (0 likes)
The commercial greenhouse industry use 3/4 vermiculite and 1/4 peatmoss for their plug trays with little or no problems with dampening off. Don't cover your seedlings with plastic as some recommend, as this will increase the humidity and therefore the fungus problems. Each cell in these trays are about 1/2 inch cubed. I believe one reason for it's success is 1. each plant is separate from the others and 2. because of the shallowness of the media it requires frequent watering. Germinating seeds love bottom heat so put this plug tray on a heating pad or on top of your water heater until germination begins then put it in the sun. Watch it closely because it will dry out quickly.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image