Forums
Search

The Adventures of Trudy

It has been a long time since I've posted on my Boxer Trudy. Though my first post was when she was 3 months old it has now been 6 years and she is a 79 pound middle aged dog.

Saturday night about 9:30 pm I was in front of the computer and she was napping nearbye. All of the sudden she took off out her dog door. Then she started baying. Nothing unusual so far. The baying continued along with thumping noises on the deck near the dog flap. A bit unusual now. Then I heard a purring growl. I grabbed my walking stick and headed out into the backyard. It was allmost pitch blackout there but I saw trudy. "What's up girl?" . She went over to a stck of 2x4s next to her dog door and started pawing. I heard the purring growl and saw a light furry patch. I commence to go a whacking with my stick. When I stopped I found it was a possum. "Oh well! I'll bury it tomorrow" Trudy was off the deck away from the whacking attack. So I called her up and said "Good girl! Trudy is a good girl" and went back to the computer.

I heard the click click of nail in the hallway and looked out. She had brought the possum inside and dropped it on the hallway floor. I let her carry it around for a bit then froze it till garbage day. After all what could I say? I had said "Good Girl!"

mississippi gulf coast zone 8
I was thinking about Trudy the other day while watching Ruger snoozing. Does she stick the tip of her tongue out while dozing?

Dirt

PS. If I ever figure out posting pics I'll debut Ruger. He just turned 4.

Like (0 likes)
Awwww mannnn, don't waste a perfectly good possum by burying him! Skin that boy and put him on the grill! But wait, are you sure he was dead? or was he just playin' 'possum?

Like (0 likes)
Dirt she will find a pillow if possible and she can snore with her eyes right open. Sunday night I woke up and she was standing right beside my bed staring at my nose.Was she planning a revolution or what? Only the Shadow knows.

Kalico after I whacked it on the head with a walking stick, Trudy carried it around in her mouth for a half hour then I put it in the deep freeze. It is most sincerely dead.

Like (0 likes)
LOL, years ago DH went out after dark and hollered back in the door "Come see what your stupid dog did!" (she was ours if she did something right!).

Our German Shepherd had captured a possum and was lying in the yard beside it, panting happily. It looked most sincerely dead...but every so often would start to very slloooooowwwllyyyyy rooooolll to its feet----at which point Muttley would bop it in the ribs with her nose and it would fall back into the most sincerely dead position. Eventually it did get away and the dog spent the week looking up into trees for her 'pet'.

My sweet protective Oso, RIP, never waited for Mom or Dad to come take care of possums---if the dumb things wandered into the fenced in yard, they were most definitely and sincerely dead before we could get to the door.

__________________________ {=^;^=} Living the good life amid the wildlife.
Like (0 likes)
When younger DD was 3 I had put the trash can out on the back porch for DH to wash. She came in & said "Mama there is a big mouse in the trash can." That can was as tall as she was & she made a face with her hands to say big eyes.
I went to check & there was a possum & it was snarling & hissing at us. I called base game controll & told them there was a possum in my trash can & the fool asked if I didn't want it there. Anyway they came to get it & they had a real battle getting it in the cage so they could let it loose away from housinng.

Like (0 likes)
Hehehe...

That's always my big fear if I put a doggy door in here. I'd come home to find a racoon in the kitchen Big Grin

Last summer Jake the Dalmatian almost caught a woodchuck living under my deck a few times. But it always evaded him, several times as farcical as Jake would leap over him as the woodchuck dived under the deck.

Well one morning I let Jake out and almost immediately heard a fight break out by the woodpile and there was no doubt what was going on.

Figuring he had the woodchuck cornered, I grabbed my .22, went out barefoot in my boxers, and here's Jake presenting me a very live and very pissed off woodchuck in his mouth. Had him by the back, so the claws were facing away from Jake and towards me.

I don't think I've ever seen Jake acting so proud of himself. I dispatched the 'chuck and directed Jake to "drop it."

Talk about one disappointed dog, but after the third "drop it" he did and I got Jake inside and went to dispose of the chuck.

When I let Jake back out, I think he was even more disappointed it had disappeared.

Like (0 likes)
Cool

Thanks Ya'll, so much for sharing such wonderful stories!

Smiler
Robin

Like (0 likes)
Yes I posted my first about her in 2003 under "Sick Dog". She had demodex mange as a 4 month old puppy and the first "vet" just suggested putting her down if she didn't out grow it. I followed everybodys advice and found a real Vet and she is now over 6. Got a bit of gray on her muzzle but she still wants to beg/steal food and chase cats. Not so destructive though.

Like (0 likes)
What a good girl!!! Big Grin

- - - - - - - - - - - - Elizabeth www.WordCures.com
Like (0 likes)
Today I took Trudy to have a small needle aspiration, sort of a biopsy. She has has a small growth on her head for over a year. The Vet said she couldn't be sure about the results but it looked like mast cells that had ruptured or cancer. There was another one in one of her breasts possibly. In a couple of weeks I'll have them removed but it will require anesthesia which is allways risky for a Boxer and this will be the fifth time.

Like (0 likes)
Hoping for the best for ya! It's always scary when a friend is sick. Prayers for the pooch.

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
Best of luck. Hope it's something they can deal with.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
Ruger sends his best wishes.

Dirt

Like (0 likes)

Thanks for sharing more Trudy. Hope the best for both of y'all. I keep telling myself to try and be the person Lucky The Wonder Dog thinks I am.

IMHO We should all wag our tails more and bark less.

Coastal Southern CA, USDA 10, Sunset 22

"Nothing is as optimistic as a seed catalog." Charles Mann

Like (0 likes)
The vet removed 4 masses from Trudy today. I pick her up in the morning but it might be 2 weeks before the stitches come out and we hear if it was cancer. Regardless this will be the last surgery and there will be no chemo or radiation.

Like (0 likes)
I finally got the test results back today. She had 2 different types of tumors but both were benign. Still has several small tumors but they are slow growing and she is old soit won't be a problem.

Like (0 likes)
Good News. I hope Trudy is making a full recovery.
We just lost our cat a few weeks ago. She was old and tired. I still expect her to be sitting there waiting for me when I get home from work.

Northern Il,along the Fox River.

Like (0 likes)
Sunday night at 1 a.m. Trudy had a seizure. I took her to the vet monday and they ran a blood test. Her thyroid readings were low and her kidneys weren't the best in the world. We'll try thyroid supplements for a month. She turned 10 May 4th. If the seizures keep occuring we'll have to part ways for a while.

Like (0 likes)
Frowner

Like (0 likes)
Ruger and I are wishing Trudy and you all the best.

Dirt

Like (0 likes)
Oh, our thoughts are with you. They are such a part of our lives.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks all. No more seizures so far but the energy level hasn't gone back up either.

Like (0 likes)
((((Hugs)))) to you and to der Vunderhund.

My old red chow Oso had several stroke-like attacks at age 11 or 12---they affected his balance and sight, but he plugged away until the age of 15. Here's hoping Trudy does likewise and keeps you outta trouble for the next few years.

__________________________ {=^;^=} Living the good life amid the wildlife.
Like (0 likes)
The thyroid supplement is working. The vet did put her on prescription dog food and change her antiflea pill.

Like (0 likes)
Is Trudy a lab? I had a chocolate lab that became listless and I took her to the vet. 3x...because she gets a bit hyper and excited she would not appear that way to the vet. But she died...barely 2 years old..from a thyroid problem. A common ailment in labs. So sad.

Like (0 likes)
Trudy is a Boxer. There's a pic of her in an earlier post here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
I'd repost the pic for you but photobucket is holding my pics hostage and I haven't figured out the iphone to photobucket or forum connection yet. I can email or text photos. She is a formerly blackfaced (now gray) brindle with a reddish fawn/ tiger stripe coat. Some where on here about 3 years ago I posted a pic.

Like (0 likes)
Trudy had another seizure at midnight last night. Then she had a very bad one at 3 p.m. this afternoon. With the supplement her thyroid reading is perfect, her kidney function is marginal, and her amalyse reading(stomach emzyme) reading is bad. She will stay at the vet's tomorrow and if there is no improvement I'll have her put down friday. I can't let her have those seizures at the house while I'm at work.

Like (0 likes)
It's so sad to lose a beloved pet.

Good luck to you.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Frowner I'm sorry.

Like (0 likes)
How did it go today?
Blessings to you and Trudy.

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
So sorry to hear this. Sending lots of good energy and prayers your way.

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
The vet called this morning. He kept her on phenobarbital all night and she didn't have any seizures. He diagnosed it as idiopathic epilepsy and added a phenobarbital prescription to the thyroid supplement. She's home and either sleeping or walking like a drunk. We'll give it a couple of months and see how she adapts.

Like (0 likes)
I had a dalmatian with seizures who was on anti-seizure medication for a number of years with no problem. The seizures bothered us more than him.

Like (0 likes)
Good news.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Well it's not looking good so far. Her last seizure was a Gran Mal one and she lost control of her bladder. She was allready on thyroid supplement and has marginal kidney function. The phenobarbital made her sleep so sound that she lost control of her bladder on my leather couch today. Add tripping and falling down to it. We'll see if it gets any better this week but if not I'm thinking it might be time for her to go on and wait for me. Living stoned isn't living.

Like (0 likes)
Over time, the effects you describe lessen, unless something else is going on in her brain.

Like (0 likes)
Oh darn...

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
mgulfcoastguy - I have been thinking a lot about Trudy and you. Earlier this year, my BooBoo Kitty had renal failure and stopped eating. We spent many weeks trying to coax him to eat, with no success. Vet trips, medication - nothing helped.

The vet and support groups all suggested we could hook him up to IV's three days a week, force feed him with a tube, etc etc. In the end, I made the decision to let him go - he had a wonderful long life, and did not deserve to be treated that way in order to prolong a painful existence for a few more months.

I cried for two days, I still miss him like crazy (and in fact, am crying now trying to type this), but I am absolutely sure that I did the right thing for him. Maybe not for me, but for him.

I understand the emotional toll this must be taking on you - remember to put what is best for Trudy above what is best for you. Thinking of you both.

Kate

His name was Mestophales, but he was always BooBoo to us

They say happiness is a thing you can't touch, a thing you can't see;

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image