Forums
Search

Who eats slugs?

who are the slug predators in the northeast? Do birds eat slugs? They have eaten all the lily buds while I was away; found them fat and happy early this morning on the nearly stripped asiatics. Can they be battered and fried?

Ducks and geese will eat them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
Toads, frogs and snakes will eat them. Set up some kind of wet area to attract them and they will help control them.

Cat

Like (0 likes)
We have loads of snakes, but maybe they are full up on the loads of mice, and house centipedes. We don't have any toads or mice to speak of, but I am hesitant to establish a wet area: the mosquitoes are pretty bad here, as we are a hundred yards from the Hudson.

We hope to get chickens ASAP and I'm looking forward to them de-infesting and fertilizing the October/November garden.
We do have a groundhog in the yard, birds, and squirrels. Do songbirds eat slugs? Ground hogs?

Like (0 likes)
Slugs are easy to catch in beer, using small containers sunk into the ground. I now live on pure sand where we have no slugs, but when I lived in Charleston my garden was at first quite infested with them. I saved several mayonnaise jar lids (they're just about the right depth), sank them into the garden soil, and in the evening poured in the cheapest beer I could buy. In the morning the lids would be filled with drowned slugs. Using this method, I was able to significantly reduce the slug population.

Also, should you wish to try creating a water feature, mosquito dunks can be used to keep it free of mosquito larvae.

Like (0 likes)
There's a nontoxic snail and slug bait called Sluggo that will kill them.

Like (0 likes)
Well, never tried them myself. Maybe with a little, no, lots of wine sauce?
jo

Pardon me for driving the speed limit.
Like (0 likes)
Ducks will eat them. Geese will not, or not hardly. Geese are primarily vegetarian grazers. http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/hunt/geese/geesefacts.html Most ingestion of insects by geese is accidental.

Ducks, chickens, and guineas are far more likely to eat slugs than geese. And there would be drawbacks to all the above. Ducks are great in an orchard, cornfield, or other area where they cannot damage the crop, but in a garden, they will be sure to sample lots of your tasty veggie plants as well as slugs and bugs. Chickens may or may not mess with adult vegetable plants, but they will scratch at the soil, which can cause damage. Guineas are primarily bug eaters, and do not scratch, so they work pretty well in the garden, but they are rather noisy birds, not terribly friendly, and may perch (and poop) in places you may prefer not to have them. Guineas may also decide to up and leave your property for parts unknown. I will say, though, that when we had guineas, fly, flea, and tick populations declined very noticeably.

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)
Never had escargots? :O Wink I personally love them, sauteed in olive oil, with lots of garlic and herbs, put under the broiler topped with parmesan until lightly browned, and then devoured with thick, crusty toasted French garlic bread slices. MMMMmmm! :^O (No wine sauce - - [u]garlic!!![/u])

But all the ones I originally tried had shells on to begin with. Not sure how they'd taste after having been exposed to the elements....
?:|

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)
Can I say OOOH, GROSS.

Like (0 likes)
Our daughter used to pay one of the farm interns a dollar to eat slugs and beetle larvae and such. I don't know which of them was the sickest. :_|

Like (0 likes)
ILOVE Gunea hens, and would LOVE to have them, but they ARE too noisy for our village setting. Too bad, they're sooo pretty!

Like (0 likes)
For a dollar each, I'D DEFINITELY EAT THEM, doused in something alcoholic (the slug AND me). BUT WHAT ABOUT SONGBIRDS AND YARD VARMINTS do they eat slugs (squirrels chipmunks groundhogs possums skunks)?? I guess our snakes want a dollar a pop too, they seem to be falling down on the job. :^O

Like (0 likes)
Try one and let me know Razzer ...

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image