Forums
Search

Coffee for lawn

Wondering...
If coffee grounds are all nitrogen, and lawns like nitrogen, would it be good to put it on our lawn? This house has 3/4 landscaping as lawn Frowner

hmm, also... can you feed the grounds to your worm bin?

Thanks,
RED

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

I think the operative answer is yes. The coffee grounds can be used as topdressing (and leftover coffee diluted works for watering plants) and the worms will eat the grounds, but they are highly acidic and should be fed sparingly. I put crushed eggshells in my bin to help reduce the acidity.

Like (0 likes)
Oh, okay, makes sense. since our stomachs think coffee is acidic too!

We have 3 adults living here, living separate lives, we all have eggs, and coffee.

Has anyone ever tried to get a breakfast restaurant to give/save you their egg shells?? what a thot...think after all, we get coffee grounds from coffe house, rite?

wiley, i had a chuckle over imagining the worms: taking a bite of coffee grounds, then taking a bite of egg shell, etc... yes

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

Like (0 likes)
Coffee grounds are a source of some other nutrients beside Nitrogen. Starbcks paid to have coffee grounds analyzed and this is what they found http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp
Whether coffee grounds actually do change your soils pH in any significant way will depend on the amount you add and since numerous studies indicate that large quantities of other organic matter do not significantly affect soil pH there is no reason to believe that coffe grounds would either.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
I wasn't concerned about changing the acidity of the soil, Kimm, simply keeping the worm box more in balance.

Like (0 likes)
Interesting stuff.
Thank you Smiler

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

Like (0 likes)
'Red, I think lots of coffee houses save the grounds. Starbucks has even gotten a bit of publicity locally for donating grounds to community gardens, etc. I'd think you need to know someone, and make sure you pick yup on a really regular basis. I'm just not that reliable, but definitely get the ones from church on a regular basis. Even those are beneficial.

Like (0 likes)
good ideas, thank you

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

Like (0 likes)
granIN, it is a corporate policy of Starbucks to recycle those used coffee grounds. Each franchizee holds them for anyone, not just community gardens, to pick up, for free. All you need to do is ask.

Like (0 likes)
For Red & I, getting coffee grounds shouldn't be difficult at all. Here in the PNW, we've got independent espresso stands on just about every corner. I didn't realize the rest of the country is forced to live on Starbucks, until I drove cross-country. I hate Starbucks and started going into some serious caffeine withdrawls when I realized independent espresso stands don't exist beyond Idaho & Oregon!! LOL

Like (0 likes)
Finally!!!! Someone who agrees with me about Starbucks--I KNOW why they have to put all the other junk into it--it's undrinkable black!!! yes

Like (0 likes)
It's funny - in Seattle area, you'll find that about 50% of people HATE Starbucks. The other half love it. Just interesting, since they're FROM here. Makes me wonder how they got so huge! Seattle has WAAAAAAY better coffee roasters than Starbucks that are more deserving of national fame (Tully's, Seattle's Best, etc).

Like (0 likes)
We have 1 Starbucks around here, 2 Bigsbys, and several independantly owned coffee houses.That does not include all the other sandwhich shops that also make the decorative coffees. Every one of those places, when I asked, stated they would allow someone to pick up their coffee grounds provided this was done daily since Health Department rules prohibit keeping them on site more than one day.

Like (0 likes)
I have left a 5 gallon bucket at the local cafe. They keep it in their kitchen and twice-weekly bucket exchanges work for the scale of business they have. On this island there are lots of gardeners. I can't believe I am the only one who seems to be into doing this (not that I am complaining!) At the Starbucks on the big island, they empty their grounds into big white garbage bags (doubled) and put them in bins out back. Garbage, recycling, and grounds all have separate bins, and they said to help myself. I feel a little like a homeless person going through dumpsters, but hey I'm driven. Smiler Like Kimm said, they are there for the asking.

April
PS Kimm thanks muchly for the condensation control reference.

Like (0 likes)
okie doke, thank you, notes taken :~D

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by Kimm1:
We have 1 Starbucks around here, 2 Bigsbys, and several independantly owned coffee houses.

Huh. Maybe it's a "northern" thing, rather than just a pacific northwest thing. We NEED lots of coffee stands to stay warm. Smiler I didn't make it to the NE, but I can tell you there didn't seem to be any independant shops between Idaho & Louisiana - at least not visible from the main highways or any of the towns we stopped at for gas. Drove down after Katrina hit, for a kitty rescue mission, and wow... those 18hr days of driving were TOUGH without good coffee! LOL

Like (0 likes)
Unfortunately, the local Starbucks here in Minnesota think that since the program is called “Grounds for Gardens”, and now all the gardens are now covered with snow, that nobody will pick them up any more. I have even told the local Starbucks that I will gladly pick them up on a daily basis, (I have a large worm bin and three large working compost piles that I can use them in) but they still won’t save them for me. What a waste!!

Like (0 likes)
Chuck, try e-mailing Corporate at Starbucks--since it's a company policy, they might have some words to say about it. Maybe tell them you are going to contact Corporate first, and see what happens.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image