Forums
Search

Cantaloupe blooms/no fruit

In May I planted a cantaloupe seedling which has vined out incredibly well. I have had all sorts of blooms, but no sign of any fruit. I live in zone 5 (central Ohio) and the plant gets lots of afternoon sun. We've had plenty of rain, so it can't be a water issue. I planted it right in front of my tomato plants, could they be incompatible? Is there still time to get some melon off of this thing or should I pull it out and let the nutrients go towards the tomatoes?
Thanks,
Buckeye

you plants will need longer to produce cantaloupe in this cool weather. this also will be slow any cantaloupe development as well. You are being to impatient.

Like (0 likes)
Buckeye, OK now I know your zone ( re: other post) IF it has been cool, you need time and heat for Cantaloupe and Bells. Also Eggplant.
What did your seed packages say about light and days to maturity?

One who helps is also helped
Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the advice! Since August seems like the beginning of fall to this school teacher I always assume if it hasn't produced or shown signs of producing by August, it's not going to. I also can't get anything to grow from seed on purpose (not like the sunflowers under my bird feeder!), so I buy from a local greenhouse. The peppers were about 8 inches and the cantaloupe had a few leaves when they were put in the ground.
Thanks again,
Buckeye

Like (0 likes)
Buckeye:
I live in Columbus and my Canteloupe plants suck! I've babies and fussed and prayed and they've done bupkis. I think it's the blasted constant rain and gloom weather - last year they did great.
Charlene

Give three fold what you take.
Like (0 likes)
Thanks Charlene,
It has been crummy here in Columbus! Just for future reference, when did you plant your seeds/seedling? When did you start to see baby melons? I buy my plants from Ehmans in Orient and I planted them in May, so I really thought I would be seeing something by now besides blooms. Oh well, we'll hang in there and see what happens!
Buckeye

Like (0 likes)
I live in the Northwest where the summers do not get too hot. I tried for several years to grow an Early Gold canteloupe with out success. This year I took a wooden 18 by 18 by 18 inch box, filled it with compost and potting soil and erected a clear fiberglass box about 2 feet high over the wooden box. I placed 2 starts and now have 2 melons forming with several other buds. Try it. Also doing it with my eggplants.

Like (0 likes)
hey Buckey and Charlene, I'm having the same problem here in PA...BTW...Congrats on your Big 33 team winning this year, they played a great game....

My eggplants, peppers, watermelon have not done much for me yet this year due to the rain/overcast. If I had the resources, I'd build a small green house or something too.

Like (0 likes)
I also have plenty of male blossoms and I have just started getting the female ones. I planted mine May 15. Maryland has been overcast and rainy much of the growing season. I planted Burpee hybrid seedlings. Two miles away, my mother also planted cantalope, but not until the beginning of june and guess what, she has fruit the size of softballs . Go figure. My tomatoes are smaller than normal this year. My peppers are great though.

lisaann Zone 6 Maryland

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
If I remember correctly I planted from seed on May 19th. The canteloupe vines are only about 2 feet long with one friut that looks more like a wart that a melon. I know that's kind of late but I was really hoping to get at least ONE canteloupe. Maybe I should have started them when the voulenteer pumpkins came up in the garden (geeeeee george, ya think!) Razzer

Oh well, live and learn. Forget the charts and just pay attention to mother nature - she'll tell ya when to plant.
Charlene

Give three fold what you take.
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image