Forums
Search

Styrofoam in potting mixes!

Last year I bought several hanging flower planters from Home Depot. At end of season, I usually empty the planters and put the soiless potting mix in the compost pile. I was horrified to find it loaded with ground up styrofoam-yes,STYROFOAM-not perlite! This is a completely unacceptable practice! I was unable to reuse this potting mix in any way. Bummer. Please check the soil in any plants you may purchase this year and write a letter to the company that chooses to buy from growers using this cheap alternative to proper soiless mix; letting them know that this is UNACCEPTABLE! I hope this is not a trend with the growers. Let's stay on top of this.

First of all calm down. Unlike the styrofoam of ten or twenty years ago, today's foam leaches out almost no chemicals or gasses. The only real problem with it is that it takes about 100 years in the sun to break down. Its not going to poison your garden or anything, you'll just have a few little white dots floating around.

Like (0 likes)
I've been gardening organically for over 27 years-more than half my life. I taught horticulture in a local high school and I can say that styrofoam in potting mixes is a BAD IDEA, period. I thought this was the perfect forum to make this made known. If organic gardeners don't care, then I suppose these cheap alternatives will proliferate and litter all our topsoil, not just the landfills. We have a multi-million dollar wetland restoration project nearby and I'm sure the water fowl will not appreciate bits of styrofoam floating about the surface and sticking to their feathers and beaks. Some things may seem small and insignificant, but can have impact never the less.

Like (0 likes)
I feal your pain. Who was the manufaturer? Let's all boycot those cheap "almighty dollar is my God" SOBs. X-(

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image