Forums
Search

Whole wht Quickbread recipe from OG mag. 1970s

Hello all,
I'm new to this, but would like to hear from any baby boomers who might have a recipe from the old (remember the little reader's digest sized) OG magazines. Looking for a long lost recipe.

Anyone have a recipe from an OG magazine from the early 70s for whole wheat quickbread. Ingredients included molasses, buttermilk, and raisins (optional)
I don't have an answer
0 votes
0%
That's why I am asking!
0 votes
0%

Total Votes: 0
Vote
OK...obviously I don't get how this works... didn't know it was a survey, looking for info. sharing forum Smiler

Like (0 likes)
You simply hit the wrong button when starting this post. You obviously clicked on "Poll", which gives you the poll/survey format.

Go back, hit "New", & MAKE SURE you click on "Discussion". That gives you the normal post format. Then re-post your post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
Hey! Did you try a search on the OG website? I did get the magazine when it was a small version, but they are long lost now.
I made a similar bread recently but not from OG magazine.
Good luck!

Like (0 likes)
I searched the OG/Rodale recipes and found nothing, so checked allrecipes.com and here's the closest I've found there, with some of the reviews:

Hearty Brown Quick Bread

Submitted By: Susan Lane
Photo By: pomplemousse
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
Servings: 32

"'Not only is this bread high in fiber and low in fat, but it's moist, rich, delicious and filling,' assures Susan Lane of Waukesha, Wisconsin. Sweet plump raisins and crunchy pecans make this whole wheat loaf an instant favorite."

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups 1% buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugars, baking soda and salt. Stir in buttermilk and eggs just until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts.
2. Pour into two 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 1/30/2011

Reviewed: Nov. 14, 2008
This was delicious!!! We left out the raisins and pecans, but it was still very sweet!!!

Reviewed: Jun. 28, 2009
Yes, this bread is extremely sweet, but it does call for 2 1/2 cups of sugar, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise. What was a surprise to me was that the bread pans overflowed. When the recipe says 9x5 bread pans, apparently it REALLY means it. I have smaller bread pans, but I've never had a problem. Until now. Luckily, I keep my pizza stone in the oven for lack of any better storing place, so it overflowed onto the pizza stone and made a mini loaf. Kind of hilarious, actually. I didn't include the nuts, more so because I just didn't feel like chopping them, but I'm sure it would be good with them. I cut out the white sugar completely and it was plenty sweet. Thanks for the recipe.

Reviewed: Sep. 29, 2010
After looking at some of the reviews, I decided to cut the sugar in half on this recipe, and added about a teaspoon of cinnamon to compliment the raisins. Didn't have any walnuts, so I skipped those...but it turned out great! Dense, slightly sweet bread that tastes good and is good FOR you. Smiler This will make a great breakfast bread for my husband and I.

Like (0 likes)
Is there a way to substitute for the raising ingredients in the bread recipe? I never buy buttermilk, cause we don't drink it and any left after making a recipe just gets fed to the critters. Can I use skim milk, butter and baking POWDER? How much baking powder would I need to use to get it to raise? I love to make bread, but usually make yeast bread. This sounds like it would be delicious, but I hate to buy buttermilk and just waste most of it.

Like (0 likes)
You can make buttermilk by simply adding a tablespoonful of lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk and letting it set for about 10 minutes.
Thinking I may try this recipe tomorrow.

Like (0 likes)
They also have a powdered buttermilk, it is in a red round canister. It keeps forever. Ask at your grocery store.

Great minds think alike, I was just thinking a good whole wheat bread for breakfast is a good idea!

Like (0 likes)
I can't keep that powdered buttermilk down here, it gets hard as a brick in our humidity...even though we run the a/c all the time...no open house down here!
I just do the lemon juice/milk...much easier & nearly always on hand!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
I keep my ppowdered milk and buttermilk in the freezer.

april
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image