Forums
Search

growing sage from cuttings

Has anyone had success growing sage from cutting?
I am a beekeeper and want to propagate sage in my yard, but the cost to purchase the bushes is prohibitive. I purchased Texas Sage bush and made cuttings which I wet with a rooting solution then planted in peat moss which is fairly dry. So far, nothing is happening and the cuttings seem to be drying up. Any help will be appreciated

I have never tried sage, but I'd just put it in regular potting soil...

______

canadiyank, Zone 6B, central WA

Like (0 likes)
I have a 2-3 inch sage planted by seed at the moment.

I'm so proud!

Like (0 likes)
Are you talking about culinary sage or ornamental salvias? Salvia should grow from cuttings fairly easily - try a good length (6-8 inches), strip the lower leaves, stick in wet sand, keep it moist and out of direct light.

Some will do really well just by pegging down. Bend down a stalk from the main plant until it touches the ground (but doesn't break). A piece of coat hanger bent into a U will hold it down. It may (will?) grow roots where it's pegged, then you can snip it away from the main plant, dig it up and transplant it.

I can't keep my pineapple sage under control because whenever a heavy branch droops to the ground, it has a new home. Where do you live? Perhaps there's a variety in your area that is friendlier and more eager to grow?

You don't have to buy "bushes," too. Local nurseries sell different salvias in three-inch pots for two or three dollars around here.

For sure they don't prop from seed very reliably. MsT, you must have the magic touch!

Like (0 likes)
quote:
For sure they don't prop from seed very reliably. MsT, you must have the magic touch!

Really?? I was disappointed only 1 in 4 came through, but there was a dog ran through the area a few times - and squirrels digging to bury peanuts, etc. Only about 1/2 or less of everything came through....that's ok - I plant too close together anyway!

I just got a packet of seeds from online. Are you telling me I did something difficult? I'd be very pleased!

I've heard stevia is difficult to get going...I'll be hoping to tackle that in the spring and I'll let you know how I do!

Like (0 likes)
If you're talking about salvia, I think the pegging or scraping the bark, packing peat moss or some other water holding substance around it and sealing it with plastic wrap held by rubber bands would be more productive. The method you are trying should work ok too, but you need to start it with wet peat moss and at least "tent" it with plastic or put a cloche of some kind around to keep it moist until it roots. After it roots, take the cover off and keep it moist but not soaked until the roots are established. I'm not sure but I think culinary sage might work the same way, cutting at the "wood" stem.

Like (0 likes)
Here is a sage cutting I rooted in just 8 days, using a cloner, but it is always easy to root, in soil, or in water. Just put the stems in some water, change once a day, and they will root in several days.

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image