Forums
Search

Basil turning yellow

I planted several basil plants in a container and raised beds three weeks ago. The leaves are starting to turn yellow. Can anyone help? Is it too much water? Not enough? Do they need something? Totally baffled. I thought they were easy.

Right off the bat I'd say too much water or not enough N but I'm certainly no expert. Does your container/bed drain well? If they do, I'd try a little fish emulsion fertilizer and see.

Good luck!
OB

Like (0 likes)
Ditto on the info ..basil is very temp sensitive.

Like (0 likes)
My gut instinct is too much water. They are in full sun, right? Don't know where you are, so it's hard to say otherwise. I'm in zone 7/8 and I won't set them outside until Mother's Day at the earliest. They are in the greenhouse until then.

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
I will slow down on watering. It might be as we are watering alot to get our seedlings established, and it gets some as well. It is in full sun. One plant in a raised bed, the other in a container.
I live in zone 7, central Alabama. It has been pretty warm here.

Like (0 likes)
As warm as it is in Alabama, I doubt that overwatering is your problem, especially if the ones in the ground as well as in the pots are suffering the same yellow leaves.

Sounds to me like they may be hungry and need some fertilizer like fish emulsion. My celery seedling leaves turned yellow until I fed them.

Like (0 likes)
I put mine out last week and am getting a few yellow leaves. They had been sitting outside but only getting morning sun...mine are just getting a bit of sun burn but they normally recover pretty quick from that. Mine are all in the ground...so it isn't too much water for me...I seldom water unless we are super dry after planting most things in the ground.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
How are they doing now?

______

canadiyank, Zone 6B, central WA

Like (0 likes)
Having the same problem... Confused

Like (0 likes)
Mine tend to drop leaves at the bottom of the plant (I have that with peppers, too). Sometimes yellow means they need more iron, you can find a fertilizer that contains iron and they'll perk up pretty quickly. Is it just the lower leaves or the whole plant?

______

canadiyank, Zone 6B, central WA

Like (0 likes)
It could have probably been that you have overwater them. Try to cut back on the amount of water you give them for a while and see if they start looking better. Basically, if a plant turns yellow, it's overwatering, if it turns brown, it's underwatering.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image