Forums
Search

Cutting back Cantaloupe plants

My Cantaloupe plant has about 50 flowers on it and I am now getting fruit. I don't think one plant can sustain so much fruit of this size so, should I cut back the plant in some way? And how many melons will one plant produce to a good size?

You really shouldn't cut back the plant itself. Wait until you see what fruit you're getting, & then simply pinch off smaller or other undesirable fruit to allow the others to grow on unimpeded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
I think you will find that you have a lot more female flowers than male flowers. I would take breezies advice. When you think you've got enough melons pinch the others off. The season will end sometime and any imature fruit will be lost. Every year I have melons that end up getting froze but I have usally picked plenty of ripe ones by that time.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the advice. This is exciting!

Like (0 likes)
After this year, you will know about how long your melons (and other things) can last. By that I mean how long from the time that the first one is ready to eat until the last one has been harvested and has been sitting around (perhaps in the refrigerator) so long that you don't want to eat it.

Next year you can selectively pinch off excess fruit so you have only as much as you can reasonably eat, and pinch off new new fruit that sets too close to your first frost date to mature before it freezes.

In theory, I plant, and manage everything so that once things start to ripen, I have only the amount I can use, or reasonably process and preserve in an hour or so each day.

In reality though, I end up with massive quantities of peas, beans, tomatoes and a few other things all coming on at once. More than a few times, I have found myself still sweating it out in the kitchen at 2:00 am, with 10 more pounds of beans yet to be blanched and frozen....sure pays off in January and February though.

[i]Mulch where you can Till if you have to Weed when you must It's all part of the plan[/i].
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image