Forums
Search

Fertilizer for citrus and mango trees

I'm looking for an organic fertilizer for citrus and mango trees. Anything new on the market? In the past, I've made my own by ordering 50 lb bags of N P K sources and mixing it, but the cost of shipping and my aging back have put an end to that. I make compost, but my vegetable garden has dibs on that! I've used the non organic 6-6-6 and fruit tree fertilizer that H D, Lowe's etc. carry and will again unless I can find something better. You folks are usually my best source of organic information, so please help if you can. Thanks!

Zone 9 Melbourne, Fl. Gardening is a class in continuing education. Enjoy!
Espoma produces organic cottonseed meal for trees and shrubs. I don't know if they are certified organic or not. A lot of big box stores carry their line of products.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
This is what is commonly available around here, lots of citrus both commercial and homeowner here.

http://www.ebstone.org/11_citrus.php

Inland Southern California USDA 9b, Sunset 19

Like (0 likes)
Organic growing should not be so much about some "fertilizer" as it should be about makign the soil into a good and healthy soil so "fertilizers" are not needed.
What is your soils pH?
What levels of P, K, Ca, Mg, etc. are in your soil.
How well does that soil drain?
How well does that soil retain moisture?
What kind of life is in your soil?
What does that soil smell like?

Keep in mind that cotton, where cottonseed meal comes from, is one of those Genetically Engineered crops and cotton is one of the most heavily synthetically sprayed crops grown. There are a few growers that are growing cotton organically although I am not so sure there are enough to supply the needs of even Espoma. Although they say their cottonseed meal is "approved for use by organic gardeners" it does not say approved by whom.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
...yes very correct, what kimm1 said. you will find many posts about fertilizer. I wrote about NPK, about wood ash, about bio charcoal, about my selfmade organic fertilizer. But all maybe is for using when you have to cultivate a new, poor land. It's important to know the present condition of your land. Let it test all in a lab, so you know what your soil need, or - also important - what your soil not need. Sometime with additions you destroy more, than you want to help the soil. Nevertheless best organic greetings, ThaiGer.

http://camping-in-thailand.com/ and http://www.farmersvoice.info/ "To know what we know, and know what we do not know, that is understanding."(Confucius)
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image