Forums
Search

Good herbs for a shady Oklahoma area?

Hey, little introduction: my name is Ethan Barron, I'm 13, and I recently became interested in gardening. I have always enjoyed growing stuff and once at the age of four (with help from my mother) I grew a small pumpkin, until the neighbor's cat knocked the pot off the porch... I was so mad. Err... anyway, my question: I have a small area for a garden and I'd love to plant some herbs back there, I want them for sight, fragrance and taste, not just one aspect. Hmm... anyway, it's pretty shady back there so I need something that'll grow well and not be dominant or invasive, whatever the word is. I heard something about Peppermint plants with fuzzy leaves, or maybe I'm getting mixed up, but that interested me. Also, not only WHAT will grow but where can I buy it? Thanks so much everyone, I hope to stay active in these forums and become a good gardener Smiler

I'm from Oklahoma, too. I have peppermint that is doing well in the shade. But, on peppermint, if you are not careful, it will take over. Mine do not have fuzzy leaf. You can start yours from seeds. Another herb that does well in the shade for me is sage. During the heat of the summer I water my herbs once a week. Last fall I planted some oregno. So far it is doing good. Also I have chives in the shade. My chives, sage, and my peppermint are doing great.
Eric H.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image