Forums
Search

How Do I Enlarge A Stencil To Print From The Web?

I've recently (finally) found a stencil online that I want to use on a door I crackled. I downloaded it fine. But now I need to enlarge it so I can transfer it to mylar and cut it out.

(FWIW: I have an Apple iBook, which I love and an HP printer, which I hate. But that's another story).

I've never enlarged a pattern of any kind that wouldn't normally fit on either a regular 8X10 or legal-size paper. I can raise the percentage of the image, but when I print it out, the pattern goes off the paper.

I know this isn't rocket science, and I'm pretty computer literate. This, however, has me stumped. Can anyone more experienced w/this offer some advice. I need the stencil to be at least 20X15. Do I have to do it in sections? And if so, how?

Thanks. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Linda,

You can print it out as large as possible on letter-size paper, cut it in half and take it to a store that does copies, like Kinkos, Staples, etc and use their copier to enlarge it and print each half to 11x17 paper.

Alternately, you can email it to me and I can use our large-format printer to print it to the size you need (up to 24" x 36") and I can mail it back. How soon do you need it?

Wayne

Adirondackgardener

Mainegardener

Trying out Northeast PA.

Like (0 likes)
Wayne, you are a sweetheart. Smiler For the information and for the offer. After I mentioned to DH your response to me about the large-format printer, he told me that they have just such a printer at his company in NYC for their designers to print out textile-print designs. Who knew? Confused

I really appreciate your offer to do it. I'd, of course, pay you all the S&H and whatever the cost of the materials. But since DH can do it for me, I think I'll prevail upon him.

Question though: If I were to cut it in half as you suggested and print up each side (blown up to a full 8-1/2 X 11 paper and do the same to the other half, couldn't I then piece the two larger halves together and make a template from that? Just curious. If that would work, I might just want to try it as an experiment. Otherwise...I've just created another "honey-do-job". Big Grin Razzer

Thank you again, Wayne. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
My printer has an option that says "print as a multi-page poster" and then you can choose how large you want the image to be. Then you just tape it together at the registration marks and transfer to your mylar. I have a Dell printer, but I think my old HP had something similar.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Oh, yeah, I did forget the final step: piece the two enlargements together!

If your printer can do what topofthehill's can, then that may be easier and save a trip to the copy place in town. You may have to print it to 4 sheets and piece them together.

The problem with enlarging templates is that the lines thicken proportionately. It was sometimes a problem I had with stained glass templates.

(And you're very welcome.)

Wayne

Adirondackgardener

Mainegardener

Trying out Northeast PA.

Like (0 likes)
I don't think my HP has that option. Personally, the only option I wish it had was to get up and walk out the door! Did I say I hated it? Mad

Thank you Top and Wayne (again) for the input. After talking it over some more w/DH, he volunteered (willingly Wink) to take it into work and enlarge it there on the company's printer.

Then comes the really hard part: cutting the intricate details of the stencil into mylar. I need me a new Xacto knife, a steady hand and a good dose of patience.Smiler I've done plenty of stenciling before, but never cut my own template. Let you know how it comes out. If I'm successful, maybe I'll post a pic of the finished stenciled door.

P.S. Just double checked and my HP does have that option. But I'd be concerned about taping the pieces together and using it as an overlay to cut the stencil. Where some tape may lie, might be right in the middle of a some cut outs. So....I'm sticking w/DH and one continuous copy. Smiler

Like (0 likes)
Actually, you can easily cut through the tape on the pieced-together stencil. Just make sure you have ENOUGH tape remaining on the page as you cut to hold the papers together. I do this all the time with large pattern pieces when I sew floor-length gowns or full, gathered robes. Tape the pages together on BOTH sides of the paper, and you won't have any slippage.

OR... if you could bear the environmental damage, you could spray some aerosol temporary adhesive onto the pages and lay the mylar over that. The paper won't shift over/under the mylar (I use transparent for stencil-making). The paper peels off the mylar very easily, and the residual tackiness on the back of the stencil means you can slap it on a flat surface (e.g. door) and not worry about taping it down as you use it, either. There isn't enough adhesive left on the mylar at this point to transfer to the door.

I don't use aerosols, however. I'm not sure if spray-adhesive comes in a spritz - there'd be a lot of nozzle-gumming, I imagine.

[hr]I have three seasons: GROW, *SEW*, and SEED CATALOG!
Like (0 likes)
If you knew any teachers, you could borrow an overhead projector, make an overhead transparancy and project that onto the door.

That's always a neat trick.

Like (0 likes)
I'm just silly enough to say... have you ever enlarged without copiers? Like I did in the old days when they had a layout on a little square in the back of a magazine? The pattern was depicted in a graph and they suggested that you enlarge your graph to make the size you want. Then slowly, artfully free hand the pattern in each little box in the graph to your super sized graph. I've done this a number of times actually.

About the mylar thing... I would literally tack or staple the mylar fabric down onto something like posterboard so it would stay put. lay out the pattern, pin to the mylar and cut. Just some ole dress cutting and craft cutting tricks I've used.

Like (0 likes)
Can you still get carbon copying paper? You could trace your pattern onto the back of the mylar using carbon copy paper, then cut out around the edges.

Like (0 likes)
How about using an overhead projector to get the image unto the door. You can just put it onto that clear stuff and shine it on. I have a projector going spare,but the shipping would kill you.Maybe somone closer could lend you one.
Mavis

[hr]I've discovered that duct tape is like the FORCE, it has a light side a dark side and it holds the universe together.
Like (0 likes)
Print out a copy of what you want to enlarge place a peice of paper of the apropriate size on a wall and hang the subject with a bright light behind it. Trace the size you need.

[hr]Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains.
Like (0 likes)
gardenz,

Just curious, did you get this figured out? If not, open your document and go into the print dialog box and look for 'tile' or 'tiling' anywhere. Anything?

~ Mary ~ ddogtalk at hotmail dot com There's nothing to like or dislike in another that isn't a reflection of yourself.
Like (0 likes)
Oh, wow! You guys are great for keeping up w/this and offering help. (Like, I should be surprised at that? Naw.)

DH worked it out for me. He has a humongous copier-thingy at his place of business where they have to enlarge designs and such for production purposes. He took my 11X8 stencil and blew it up to the size I needed. What with the kitchen demo and remodeling coming right on the heels of that, however, I haven't gotten a chance to use the enlarged stencil yet. It's going on the bottom half of a old paneled door that I 'crackled'. The crackling came out really great. In my humble opinion. Razzer

As soon as things quiet down here a bit, I'll get to it. Although, the few spare moments I do have now are devoted to the garden. I'm thinking that stencil won't get stenciled till, oh, sometime round this Thanksgiving. Hahahaa! Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
Very cool! Smiler

~ Mary ~ ddogtalk at hotmail dot com There's nothing to like or dislike in another that isn't a reflection of yourself.
Like (0 likes)
Easy. Print it out, put it on an overhead projector and adjust the distance from your door and trace it. At least you can get the outline this way and if you have to do some cut outs do it on the one you print.

It may take a few tries but I have put logos on walls this way.
Potpourri Emporium

Enjoy, Ocha http://www.organicgardeningbook.blogspot.com
Like (0 likes)
Yeah Linda, easy! Wink I don't know about you, but I don't happen to have an overhead projector just sitting around my place. Roll Eyes

I know, I'm awful. Sorry.

I was just wondering gardenz. Did you finish this particular project? I checked out your blog, bud didn't really see many remodeling pics. Can you post either a pic or link of this door? I'd love to see it.

I did this finish on a couple dressers, and want to try it again, stripping and doing the same ones. I think the roller lines look tacky, and wonder if you have any helpful hints beyond "practice."

This has the knob color as the base, and the decorations are cut from the fabric that was also the rooms curtains. We've moved and need a new look again! Razzer

Like (0 likes)
You're sweet for remembering and asking about my Kitchen Kapers, Mary. I love the dresser! The decoupage of material flowers is a great idea. Did you use the roller for the base color or for the crackle finish or for the top coat? I used the best soft foam roller I could find. One that's used for painting kitchen cabinets, and most importantly, I did least two light coats of base. I rolled on the crackle finish, too. But I used a foam brush for the top coat of paint that ultimately 'crackled'. I don't know how you can fix the roller lines at this point. I'd suggest doing the whole crackle process on top of it again, but you've got those beautiful decoupaged flowers, so that's not an option. Maybe do some sections? Even if the roller lines are only in one or two areas, if you do it in several areas and randomly, it'll look like you meant to do it that way. Or you could distress it in those areas (and randomly, again, in others) by lightly sanding.

I haven't posted any pics on OG because I felt my kitchen redo was getting a bit 'old' here and posted none on my GardenOwn blog because I'd prefer to keep that just about garden stuff, even though I did one or two entries mentioning the kitchen.

As far as the stenciling...I had so many other things in the kitchen to take care of and then garden season began and I had to bring that clone of mine out of the closet to do both...that the stenciling was put on hold. But here's a couple of pics of the crackled door. I also crackled and decoupaged the doorknob.

(That's an American Flag Angel I made the Christmas after 9/11). She's on the door permanently. Smiler

Like (0 likes)
quote:
I haven't posted any pics on OG because I felt my kitchen redo was getting a bit 'old' here

Gardenz, re-dos only get old to the folks stuck in the middle of them. To all the rest of us, they make for interesting pictures and reading. Can't speak for anyone else, but I for one would LOVE to see pictures.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Top speaks for me on this one, too. Smiler

[hr]I have three seasons: GROW, *SEW*, and SEED CATALOG!
Like (0 likes)
quote:
Linda said: You're sweet for remembering and asking about my Kitchen Kapers, Mary.
Well, not really. Wink I remembered because of my own selfish reasons, and love what you do. Anyway, thank you so much for showing me pictures, and for your kind words about my dresser, but I'm thinking I'm going to strip it and start over from scratch. In retrospect, the fabric decoupage is a little over-done anyway, as the very bold printed fabric is fully covering a queen sized bed and is full length curtains in the same room. There really needs to be some adjustments in that space. Thanks for the advice and for your wisdom. It's been a couple years, but I think I rolled almost everything on. I do remember having sponge brushes too, but not sure what I may have use them on. I'm sure I used a roller on the antique white top color, but not sure how I added the crackle top-coat. Thanks again for the pictures. It's beautiful.

And as Topofthehill and Elfie say, it's not old to us!

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image