Forums
Search

Chipmunk in my garden!

I found that something had been digging in my container vegetable garden. :O
I thought it was the gray squirrel, since he was found eating the tops off of my Marigolds. X-(
But I read another post saying that the fish fertilizer may be attracting him, so I tried to keep an eye out. :|
Also, I changed to the seaweed/fish fertilizer hoping this would deter him.
Well, today after it rained for about 15 minutes (quite hard) I saw the chipmunk jumping from the tree in my yard to my pots. X-( Then the little sucker would dig and scoot, dig and scoot! I watched him for about 20 minutes running around my patio and jumping from the fence to the tree, from the tree to the pot, out of the pot to the other pot, from that pot to the patio floor. Well, you get my jist.
I thought the chipmunk was cute (at first) but now...I want to skin the little sucker!! X-(
What can I do to keep him from in my pots? :O

Try a little blood meal as a repellent. If he is nibbling, cayenne pepper miked with a little oil to help it stick may keep him away. Throw a little garlic in the blender along with everything else. I also add a jalapeno to the mixture.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
He's not nibbling (yet) ...just digging.
I'll try the blood meal though.
Thanks!

Like (0 likes)
Ah, those cute squirrels and chipmunks...

THEY'RE RATS WITH GOOD P.R.! X-(

That said, don't use the cayenne pepper stuff. Squirrels and chipmunks clean their faces with their paws. Cayenne in the eyes is very painful. They will try to clean their eyes with their coated paws. They could end up scratching their own eyes out because of the pain, and die a gruesome death. Bad for your karma.

To deter them, get the water hose, and blast them whenever you see them. Chances are someone in the area's feeding them -- squirrels will bury peanuts and other seeds in your yard "for later" -- and they will not be skittish around you. If you don't have the water running, run at them yelling (my neighbours love it when a squirrel gets into my yard, just for the entertainment ;\), throw rocks at them HARD so they don't think you're trying to feed them stuff...

For next year, plant daffodils and other fritillarias, as these flowers smell noxious to these rodents.

The less comfortable they are in your yard, the less they'll visit.

[hr]I have three seasons: GROW, *SEW*, and SEED CATALOG!
Like (0 likes)
Aww, leave the little fellow alone! Yes, he can cause some damage, but he will muscle away mice, and his presence guarantees rats are not around your house. They are territorial, so one male and one female are the limit in a certain area.
They can get quite tame, these little industrious creatures. My grandparents had one that would take a peanut out of my sister's mouth. Currently we have one or two at our present location. 'He' is called Caesar, and he tantalizes the indoor cat at the window.
I think we have to co-exist with the wilder animals that want to call our yards home. No, I don't mean everything, but a chipmunk, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty benign - think of him as a good luck symbol. Your yard is bountiful enough to sustain him, and organic enough for him to thrive. Yes, he may dig up the soil, burying a treasure. He might even sample your produce. But is a chipmunk really destructive enough to get rid of?

Like (0 likes)
Aren't some flower bulbs poison? I wouldn't want to kill the little critters. In Illinois, I fed the squirrels all winter on hickory nuts that I picked up the fall before. I also grew extra strawberries for the rabbits. The cardinals loved my cornbread, especially in the winter.

Like (0 likes)
I went to the local nursery today and he suggested wolf pee. It is also supposed to keep the local raccoon from around our house. It is supposed to just deter them, not hurt (or kill) them. So, we bought some and put it around the garden (in a container that allows the smell to get out...not the pee) and another container behind the hose. Hopefully this will deter all af the above animals (raccoons, gray squirrels and unfortunately mr. chipmunk)

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image