Forums
Search

Seed Purchase Day

Hi,
I just spent time purchasing seeds - from online. This is my first time doing this since renting the community garden. I generally start w/ starts purchased at the garden store...
Well, heck, for the same or less money, I can buy a whole pack! Well, and like I mentioned before, I still think seeds will grow when they grow, fast or slow (hey wait, that rhyms) when the conditions meet the plants needs, etc. So I guess this will be an experiment year...
I'll be sure and report back.
I'll put out a list of what seeds I have in the seed swap forum when they arrive - as of now, i kinda forget half of them Razzer
GardenDimples, I purchased some open faced/star zinnias if you want some (referring to your note that spouse dropped the shoe box w/ the seeds in it. I purchased about 4 packs, and 2 are a variety pack.)
so i went a little wild: made a point to get funny stuff:
purple carrots
those little round ones
black krim maters
new zealand spinach, because i've heard it doesnt bolt and such - in fact, the notations on the seed site said it's not really spinach...
got some purple celery! what the heck, you only live once, right?
umm...
i forget what else Razzer

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Wow, didn't even know about that seed swap forum. Pretty interesting. MIKE

Like (0 likes)
You will have that nice plot filled up in no time!

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Thanks anyway, Red, but he spilled the packets. The seeds are secure. They were originally sorted into annuals, perennials, vines, houseplants, sow in, sow out and so forth. Now they are just alphabetical and I have a feeling it will work better that way. Planning to get a new mantis and redo my whole garden plan. Need to make one plot for a cutting garden and dump in all the elderly flower seeds to see what grows.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
GardenDmpls - I have a certain fondness for exactly the approach you described: dump in the seeds to see what grows!! It's like those old time grab bags - you have no idea what you're gonna get, but it is fun to find out.

They say happiness is a thing you can't touch, a thing you can't see;

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
GD, you probably already know this but I just discovered this year that many flower seeds need light to germinate.

I bought a bunch of discounted flower seed packs 2 years ago and planted all of them near my veggie garden. I covered them lightly with soil and I am thinking that maybe they did need light because I hardly got any germination.

Maybe just sprinkling them on the surface would have been a better idea. I am going to do that the next time.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
A few years back,
I was up in Southern WA.
I bought some seeds
from that nursery in WA.
right across the border
from Oregon.
They are extra fresh seeds
that I bought.
I wish they would do mail order seeds.
You must know, which nursery I mean.

Good Luck,

Like (0 likes)
The seed can be costly. To try to save some $$ on seeds, save some of your own, swap on the forums, and shop eBay. Look for sellers who pay the postage for the best deals.

For sure avoid some of the Seed Catalogs which have gone sky high in price and gouge you on shipping.

The local garden store here has bulk seed at a very good price. Look around in your area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)
thank you james for the tips. i have such a small garden, and starting from the dirt up, just last spring. I have managed to grow my own soil in 5' x 15' feet so far. one of my challenges is deciding what to leave out!

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

Like (0 likes)
should i purchase leek seeds? or should i just buy the starts locally?
i would love some leek tips from phossel, i remember the pics of his leeks in the winter!

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

Like (0 likes)
I have grown leeks and onions both from seeds and from starts. The starts get you there a little quicker and if you are going for large onions the starts are a must. Grown for green onions though the seed works fine. If you want leeks to eat soon try some starts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)
Probably the starts would be the way to go. Just planted some leeks today from seed sown in late Fall. Here they will grow pretty well thru the winter, they're tough so should stand a fair bit of frost. One of my favorite veggies and expensive to buy.

Inland Southern California USDA 9b, Sunset 19

Like (0 likes)
went to Runnings, going to just look at some pepper seed......whoa

should be starting some projects soon

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by James_1:
I have grown leeks and onions both from seeds and from starts. The starts get you there a little quicker and if you are going for large onions the starts are a must. Grown for green onions though the seed works fine. If you want leeks to eat soon try some starts.

so last spring, I started some leek seed winter sown method. They did not get too big, but I was out there the other day, and there is a bit of green poking out.... so will they take off when it warms up?

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image