Forums
Search

Questions about strawberry

I was told that strawberries are perennials. Another person told me strawberries die after a few years. How long do everbearing strawberries live?

Is it practical to grow strawberries from the seeds on a berry?

Are June bearing strawberries just intended for jam makers or is there another advantage to them?

Thanks.

Strawberry plants live for many years in my experience. They send out runners, and start new plants on those runners, and when you want additional plants, you dig up the rooted runners and plant those where ever you want strawberries. If you don't need more plants, cut the runners off.

Some folks just leave their berries in the ground all year, other folks dig up the entire plant, then thoroughly weed and fertilize the soil, then replant them in the same spot, but thinned out with a foot between plants.

Each fall, when cold weather knocks back the plants, you should trim off the dead and dying leaves, then mulch the plants with hay to keep them from freezing.

Here in California, strawberries are grown commercially, and late each summer, the strawberry fields are covered with plastic and new plants are set in holes in the plastic (plastic keeps the berries clean, and warms the soil). The rows are elevated at least one foot, with plastic draping over the sides and along the length of the entire row.

If you want wild strawberries, starting from seed is probably the simplest way to get plants. For larger, eating strawberries, buying little plants is simplest. As for June bearing, or some other season, that depends on your climate. In my climate, April and May are the best months for ripe strawberries. June is just too hot here. If you plant a variety of strawberries, you can extend the number of months you get fruit. If you want to make jam, you need LOTS of berries ripening, which means LOTS of plants.

Like (0 likes)
As far as I know most strawberries are perennail, I do have to watch here in norhern Canada as some are not as hardy as others.

My mother in law always started a new row every year. She would take some of the runners and start a new row. She plowed up and oldest row in the spring when she tilled the garden. She said that the old strawberry plants would not produce as well when they got too old. She made the BEST strawberry freezer jam! If you have ever had her freezer jam I gaurantee you will not ever want the cooked jam anymore.

The plastic on the rows is very interesting. I have a terrible time with chickweed...because I weed so much I hardly ever get to eat many strawberries and they are my favorite berry!!!. I bought a compost/grow barrell from Leevalley that I hope will help. I still plan on keeping the strawberry pach though so I may just have to try the plastic. I have heard strawberries like red, I think you can get red plastic can/t you?

This year I am also trying a variey called Alpine strawberries, anyone ever heard of them? I first heard of them in the lasagna gardening book. I found a supplier and have ordered them, apparently they do not have runners, are a smaller tastier berry.

Trust God, ask Him about everything, always give him credit, he will lead you.
Like (0 likes)
I have heard that with strawberries, after their 3rd year, the production starts to decline.

But like the others said...they runner so easily, that it isn't much of a problem. You can do it more 'scientifically' and have 4 rows of them (or whatever number) and each year, take out the oldest row, and replace with the new runner plants.

I have used the plastic here in the strawberry bed....makes life MUCH easier. Greatly reduces weeding. Not sure if the black plastic is good if you have very cool summers (that is my problem). I am going to try clear plastic in some spots this year, and see how that is. (Yes, I know it will cause weed seeds to germinate...but at some point that should stop).

As to the alpines....I have heard good things about them....but note that the red ones, if not picked dead ripe, don't taste as good (can't remember what the guy said..a bit mealy I think). The white ones taste fine even if not completely ripe, and since they are white, there is no competition with the birds.

Alaskan (gardening in zones 2 to 5) (*SPRING* avatar...Spring scheduled for May 7th)
Like (0 likes)
June strawberries are good for making jam, but that's not all. They are delicious fresh. I ate so many! They also freeze. I'm still taking strawberries out of the freezer from last year to add to oatmeal, pancakes, etc.

Zone 5 - greater Chicagoland area.

Like (0 likes)
Like the others have said, strawberries don't die after a few years. I've had strawberry plants for many years. Supposedly the fruit production goes down after a few years and that's why they say to replace the plants.

June berries can be a better quality berry than the everbearers or day nuetrals. Most people like the everbearing strawberries because they produce all season. The June bearers produce more but over a shorter season. That's probably where you got the jam association with June berries. They are thought in many cases to be a superior berry over everbearers so there would be advantages other than jam.

My dad's passion and lifes work was strawberries. I just wish I had paid more attention when he was alive.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image