Forums
Search

rough skin on potatoes

Hi all,
I am kind of new to growing potatoes, and when I harvested them this year, some of the skins are very smooth and some are rough and crackly feeling. A few of them are smooth on half of the potatoe and rough on the other half. They are all in the same area so I wouldn't think soil would have anything to do with it, but I have no idea what else could cause that. Any suggestions?

Sounds like potato scab to me. Does it look like this:

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath...eets/Potato_Scab.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
Hmm, no, but I really like that web site you linked to. I'm bookmarking for future reference. Thanks!

Like (0 likes)
That link reminded me that I really need to make sure not to use any of my potatoes with scab for seed potatoes next year. I also want to cut out all shepody which get it easier, so I need to eat all of them up. The all red/cranberry red, klondike rose and fingerlings get it much less. Klondike rose from the store did very well for me this year.
The fungal info was useful, as well as pointing out that other root crops like beets can get it. Next year I am growing beets for the first time and need to keep them away from the taters areas. Wink

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image