Forums
Search

Bitter peppers

I picked my first green bell peppers an they are bitter.
What is wrong,soil, picking them to soon, etc.
Thanks.
Dan.

Bell peppers sweeten as they ripen. You have to be patient with them. Overly dry soil can also contribute. Try waiting until they're fully ripe, or turning red, and pick then.

Like (0 likes)
Vitamin C content is also higher as they ripen. Allowing them to go to red, or then purple-brown, pays you back with a ton more flavor and nutritional value.

I actually never pick 'em till they turn at the very least partially from the green. Once they've gone to red, they've got 3 times the Vitamin C of equivalent citrus and a lot more taste than the green.

Smiler

Like (0 likes)
Bell peppers get bitter if during growth there is not enough soil moisture. Like their cousins, tomatoes, peppers need an evenly moist soil.

Like (0 likes)
Green peppers are not ripe. Peppers turn from green to some other color as they mature, so waiting for a hint of another color is best. Waiting for the entire pepper to turn color means the flavors will improve drastically.

Those green peppers sold in stores are not ripe....

Like (0 likes)
I've pick green pepers when not ripe and have them taste sweet.I have one in a pot with a better boy.It has only 2 pepers on it.I'm think of picking those,pruning it back alittle to force it to produce more flowers. What do you think?

Like (0 likes)
If you pick too soon they will be bitter. If you wait until they are ripe, the plants will stop producing, so I pick some when they just start to change over. Towards the end of the season I'll let them ripen. If I have a plant which is too small producing peppers, I pick the fruit off and add a bit of fertilizer to help them grow more foliage to support the fruit. I wouldn't cut them back. As soon as they grow a little bigger they will reflower on their own. In the fall I dig up my favorite plants and winter them over under florescent lights. Sometimes I'll get a jalapeno or two. I set them out again in the spring.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
So you take your plants inside? Thanks amazing!

I have picked a few peppers that looked like they were ready but i think it was me being anxious. They were a bit bitter and tough to chew compared to a pepper I have that is ripe.

So do your peppers get bigger and bigger every year when you pick them and bring them in? Sounds great not for only the size of the plant but for the production of larger fruit! Is this the case?

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image