Forums
Search

Food dehydrators

I know it's been asked before, and Mumsey just asked again. Which food dehydrators work best for you. What features are important and why? I am thinking of buying one this year.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

I use one that is called The Big -1 Harvest Savor which was made by VitaMix. I don't think they still make them but here's one on ebay that is very similar, except I have twenty stackable trays and fruit leather sheets. I've had it about 15 years (I think, something like that) and it still works just like new. Easy to use, easy to clean, and very very efficient. I Absolutely love it.
Another great product (which I haven't had the chance to use for a while) is a Squeezo. It's not a dehydrator but a great harvest tool, especially for making apple sauce.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harvest-Savor-10-Trays-Food-Dehydra...Z32883QQcmdZViewItem

Like (0 likes)
I have an American Harvest food dehydrator (now owned by Nesco and with both names on the box). I've always been happy with it. It has a tempurature control which is what I like about it. You have to do some rotating of the racks to get things uniformly dry, but for the price, I won't complain.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Mine is American Harvest as well. I have only been using it for a month now so time will tell.

Ellen

God Almighty first planted a garden. And indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures. Francis Bacon

Virginia  Zone 7

Like (0 likes)
This is for trinharder, I just signed up today and I don't know how to find a persons email or someway to just contact one person.
I just got a Big - 1 Harvest Savor made by VitaMix. We didn't get a manual with this one.
I read your post from July 2007 on your Big 1 and thought you might be able to help us on a few questions.

Thanks

Like (0 likes)
I did end up getting the American Harvest, does the job for me. I do mostly apples and herbs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I have one of the lower-priced Excaliburs from their eBay store, where they're cheaper than their website. It's 10 trays and I luuuurvs it. No timer or anything but great temperature control.

The Excalibur is considered top-of-the-line for chefs and raw foodists, and the Nesco/AH is a really good machine, so you did not go wrong.

Like (0 likes)

Well I see that I am a little late to answer, but I still want to share my dehydrator its an Excalibur one specifically 3900B model and I am very happy with it, it does a great job and I have it for a few years already. 

Like (1 like)

Nice to hear from some old or not so old timers that I haven't seen for awhile...or am I out to lunch? 

Mumsey, why use a dehydrator for herbs rather than a hanging dryer rack?  Is one way better than another?  And must be nice to have apple slices when you want.

Have a great gardening day! hoe, hoe, hoe Pea

Upstate NY, zone 5

Like (0 likes)
Originally Posted by lil ol peapicker:

Mumsey, why use a dehydrator for herbs rather than a hanging dryer rack?  Is one way better than another? 

For one thing - lack of gathering dust.  For another - being able to better control the degree of "dryness".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)

Hello everyone, home made various type of delicious food item change your food habits.

Forked to Topic
This post was forked into a new topic here: Indian food?
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image