Forums
Search

When will Kale Freeze to Death?

I want to grow some more kale as a winter food crop and as an extra cover crop before February.

Here in Alabama, temperatures are hanging in the low 30's.

What is the lowest temperature for kale seeds to germinate?

What do you use to make kale grow faster in winter?

Is kale more winter hardy than radishes?

Can I simply mix radishes and kale for extra winter greens crops in this weather?

Kale is extremely winter hardy--especially Winterbor, which is the most hardy. All kales are hardier than radishes; radishes have so much water in them that they start to rot after a lot of freeze and thaw. I doubt you'd have luck with kale now, not necessarily because of the cold, but because of the low light levels. Plants don't grow much this time of year, but the hardy ones will stand in a kind of cold storage on the hoof, as it were. Here in warm zone 5, I sow Winterbor kale in mid July. (Make sure you thin them well and early, giving each plant at least 18 inches.They won't get big if they're crowded.) By frost they are huge, and I picked leaves yesterday after temperatures near zero last week. In early spring, as the days lengthen, the spring flush of growth begins at the nodes where the fall leaves met the stalk. The leaves are smaller than the fall leaves, but very sweet and tender. You can eat the buds and yellow flowers as well. If you are interested in winter gardening, I highly recommend Eliot Coleman's book, Four Season Harvest.

Like (0 likes)
I threw seeds out in the spring and they didn't do a whole lot. I tilled under in August and some are still growing now. I assume these are from seeds that didn't germinate in the spring. I don't know about sewing new seed now. In AL it might be OK. Never know till you try. That seed should be cheap. It is here.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the suggestions. It's going to be in the high 40 temperatures for another week here. So I planted more kale seeds today. I watered it in with my homemade high nitrogen compost/fish/cattle feed tea. I hope it sprouts ok.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image