Forums
Search

Ammonia to keep squirrels away?

I'm looking for some opinions and thoughts here about a suggestion I was given to keep the squirrels out of my veggie garden.

An older lady I recently met told me that if I soaked old rags in ammonia, then hung them from stakes in my garden beds it would keep the squirrels away. Apparently, they don't like the smell.

I'm trying to figure out if this would be harmful to my plants and soil. Rain would wash the ammonia out of the cloths and into the beds. Now, I know ammonia is full of nitrogen, but is this safe? Couldn't it burn the plants or do some damage to the soil?

Any ideas or thoughts?

I am desperate to keep these cute but destructive beasties out of my veggies this year!

Linda

Have no clue about Ammonia. Only thing I know that works for squirrels is human hair. Big deterrant -- won't go near.

Like (0 likes)
Hate to say this, LindaN....but it's all about "distraction".Big Grin

If you can't fight them...and, let's face it....it's a bit of a losing battle anyway...then FEED THEM!!

Throw some sunflower seeds or cracked corn on the ground in an area away from your garden and create a virtual "squirrel buffet bar!" Smiler If they're occupied enough with the distraction of the "buffet bar", they might opt to leave your garden be! Also, what's a buffet bar w/o beverages?? Give them a source of water, that'll keep them from (hopefully) nibbling your juicier fruits (uh...like tomatoes that are mostly water anyway). After drought two seasons ago, and I noticed the little furry ones (including chipmunks) were nibbling on the tomatoes mainly to get the moisture, I made sure we had our ground birdbaths full the following season, when the drought was even worse!

Hopefully some of these suggestions may help...either way, I think it's better than "dripping amonia" Ewww!..the smell of which might only attract neighboring cats, as it has a faint reminicent smell of Kitty Wee-Wee! Razzer

gardenz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the suggestion, gardenz. These squirrels are real terrorists in my area. I am in a typical urban neighborhood with houses close together. The neighbors feed them and provide them with water, but they still come to my yard and attack my corn, my green tomatoes, and even chew on my lawn furniture.

Frankly, I am amazed that with such a sweet life (plenty of free food every day and plenty of water) they still go after my plants. Even the neighbors that feed them have problems with the beasties eating their plants. I'll try the human hair trick and another person told me plastic bird netting kept them out of the garden.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image