Forums
Search

How long do you cook rutabaga?

I haven't boiled rutabaga for a long time and the last one I had was very grainy. Someone said I didn't cook it long enough and had to boil it for an hour. Is that the same for you?

Have a great gardening day! hoe, hoe, hoe Pea

Upstate NY, zone 5

Pea, do you cube it first? I haven't cooked it in a while either, but I remember peeling and cubing it first. Then add a bit of water to the pan and cook until fork-tender. I'm thinking 20-30 minutes. Then we always drained the water off (my mom saved it for soup stock) and mash.

How do you serve it?

Did you grow your own?

I tried to grow rutabega this year, but must have planted it at the wrong time bc it didn't work. Most of the foliage was consumed by flea beetles. I'm thinking put it in sooner next year. Got to remember that the guy who wrote the copy for the seed packets probably doesn't live where the growing season is this short.

- - - - - - - - - - - - Elizabeth www.WordCures.com
Like (0 likes)
I cook rutabaga about the same amount of time as potatoes, but I do cube them up pretty small. We had beef stew tonight with rutabaga in it... so yummy. I have a few left in the fridge that came out of our garden.

Plant seeds in the sunshine, dance in the rain
Like (0 likes)
Pea

I do as Liz and Pinky have said and cube it before cooking.

We cook vegetable stew often and a stew is not complete without the addition of either rutabaga or celeriac. Delicious and very good for you!

I grew Gilfeather turnips years ago and cooked them the traditional way (they are a Vermont heirloom) by mashing them with potatoes. They were very yummy. The seed is very hard to get now and not available anywhere Down Under.

Skip, in Oz
Like (0 likes)
Usually I cook rutabaga 20-25 min., and it seems to get tender before turnips of similar size. I have never had them get grainy, either. My favorite recipe is also a mashed rutabaga and potato, 50/50, with butter. I puree them in my FP, as with the rutabaga in it the potato does not get gluey, as when by themselves. My favorite side-dish to serve with Julia's pork ragout.

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
I'm with you, pepperhead, on the 50/50 deal. Yum! Maybe I'll have to break down and buy one...

- - - - - - - - - - - - Elizabeth www.WordCures.com
Like (0 likes)
Yes I cube the rutabaga. I think there was probably something wrong with that last one I had, or maybe I didn't peel it enough.

I, too, cooked it last night for 25 min or so. It was YUM YUM YUM YUM!!

Have a great gardening day! hoe, hoe, hoe Pea

Upstate NY, zone 5

Like (0 likes)
This thread made me smile,my MIL used to put the veg on to cook at the same time as THE MEAT. So you got a kinda vegsludge for dinner EekerNo wonder Dh thinks I'm a great cook.
Mavis

I LIVE in the garden ,I sleep in the house
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image