Forums
Search

Glad to be back. You want to hear something really weird?

I've been gone for a couple of weeks (I know, I know, who cares?) due to a laptop crash and burn at work. Finally have things up and running and it’s good to be back.

Here's the weird part.

My grandmother passed away in late January. No, that's not yet the weird part and no condolences are necessary since due to her physical condition over the past year we all felt it was a great blessing for her to be able to go home.

Grandma loved to garden and her two favorite things in the garden were a couple of very large Bing cherry trees that seemed to me to be as old as she was. I'm 46 and I can remember the wonderful times we had as kids, climbing and picking sweet, delicious cherries each summer out of those two trees. Grandma loved the sight of her grandkids picking and enjoying her cherries. She doted over those two trees and once told me that they gave her more satisfaction than anything else in her garden.

This is the weird part.

Like I said, grandma died in January and those two old cherry trees have apparently followed grandma’s lead. I stopped by a few days ago to look at the trees, and they both have every appearance of being stone cold dead!

I wonder if it’s possible for a tree to die of a broken heart?

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

The high Utah Desert---Zone 3 to 5

(it's a crap shoot every year)

I'm sorry you lost your Grama,even if it was a blessed relief for her,it's still a loss.The trees following her is wonderfully weird.I guess they were more a part of her than anybody realized.
Mavis

I LIVE in the garden ,I sleep in the house
Like (0 likes)
That is truly weird.
We had the opposite situation happen. Mom kept my grandma's poinsettia after she died. For as long as mom had the plant it would flower, not at Christmas, but right around the day my grandma passed away.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Weedkicker, good to see you back. Sorry about your grandma. Do you think the trees are really dead? Isn't it still too early for them in your zone, or do they usually start to green up by now?

Like (0 likes)
Glad to see you back!
You have some great memories of your grandmother and those cherry trees! At least those memories will never die.
Not even a few buds on those trees?
What a strange coincidence.

"Maybe one of the secrets of survival is to learn where to dance." Stanley Kunitz
Like (0 likes)
I’m certain both trees are dead. All of the other cherry trees in the area (and there are a lot of them) are either in bloom or at least budding out. There is no sign of life in either of these two.

It really is eery!

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

Like (0 likes)
Plants have feelings too. And they make great channels to the other side!

[hr]I have three seasons: GROW, *SEW*, and SEED CATALOG!
Like (0 likes)
SOME plants have feelings, but I know for a fact that bindweed doesn't.
Cursing, namecalling and insults galore have absolutely no effect on the miserable buggers!

Like (0 likes)
While searching for another thread I remembered from days long ago I stumbled upon this one, and after reading it I realized that I never made a follow up regarding the trees.

A couple of months after I made this post it was obvious the trees were in fact dead. They went from producing a fine crop of cherries the previous year, to being stone cold dead the following spring.

Weird.
Very weird.

Like (0 likes)
Glad you found this again, it shows me that we are all connected to every living thing on earth, intertwined.
Mavis

[hr]I've discovered that duct tape is like the FORCE, it has a light side a dark side and it holds the universe together.
Like (0 likes)
i had a zuccini plant die like that one year. after i pulled it up, and began to work the soil to plant something else, i found about a dozen june bug larva -grubs? they ate the roots. i wonder if thats what happend to the cherry trees, something ate the roots...or a desease of whatnot...

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
Hugs your way..guess you're going to be shopping for a cherry tree in her memory?

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image