Forums
Search

Rotation of Crops

I know that Bonnie (GoneCuttin) put together a circle type rotation diagram that really made it easy for someone to see how to rotate plantings.

There are different ideas about what-should-follow-what but there are some principles that are based on shared diseases and pests that should be widely accepted. Rotation may also work on a similar pattern to companion planting where different crops have different needs.

Can someone post a diagram or information that can easily made into a diagram showing crop rotation? I will continue searching and see if there is something. It really should be possible to have a visual to make it quickly clear.

Steve

On no, Steve, not me. You must have me confused with someone that is smart.

All I have is the chart for what to plant when, as it relates to soil temp and what else is going on in the garden:

Bonnie

Like (0 likes)
I did find my circle of companion plants:

Bonnie
Like (0 likes)
That is an excellent companion planting chart, Bonnie.

The world is round.

I'm tired of corners . . . been painting myself into them, all my life.

Steve
Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace. ~ May Sarton

Like (0 likes)
Thanks Bonnie, that's very helpful.
I notice there are no potatoes on your chart, but I suppose you would follow with the same crops as you would for tomatoes.

Like (0 likes)
eagerly studied your companion circle looking for onions - nope. Guess I'll have to do a major search for my companion planting book.

my garden is too small to do significant rotation, and part of it is partially shaded, so limited. I just try to mix things up and keep the soil super rich.

Like (0 likes)
Sorry about no potatoes or onions. My gardens have many spots and the places that the onions and potatoes call home is not where I would add anything else, so they got left off. Never planned on putting the thing out to the world when I put it together, but it does have some good thoughts for others to ponder.

One thing I learned the hard way, asparagus does NOT like being with anything. I put pumpkins next to the asparagus bed one year the the asparagus has never come back for about 3' where the roots of the pumpkins were.

Bonnie
Like (0 likes)
Something I learned the hard way was the bad effect sunflowers have on potatoes. I shredded my considerable crop of sunflowers stalks one fall and tilled them in to several beds. The following year my potatoes did horrible.
Sunflowers contain an allelopath that can cause phytopthera (sp?) blight in potatoes.

Like (0 likes)

"Leave Room in Your Garden for Angels to Dance."

West of Denver           Zone 5b

Like (0 likes)
quote:
One thing I learned the hard way, asparagus does NOT like being with anything. I put pumpkins next to the asparagus bed one year the the asparagus has never come back for about 3' where the roots of the pumpkins were.

This surprised me GoneCuttin.
Asparagus love to "hang-out" with tomatoes.
I also plant a little lettuce to be shaded by their stalks.
What they really don't like is having ANY competition close to them.
I keep the tomatoes at least 5 feet away and they both benefit. Any closer and I'm sure the asparagus would object.
Theresa

P.S. Love your companion circle. Great job!

http://tendingmygarden.com

zone 7b - Virginia in the Chesapeake Bay area

Like (0 likes)
It wouldn't matter which crop you tried after tilling in sunflower debris. Just replanting there would do the same. I used to fill the bird feeder with a mix and everything reseeded beneath the feeder. Someone suggested just feeding sunflower seed and now I occasionally get a random sunflower Smiler beneath the feeder. Rarely get any weeds in that garden now. If course now the squirrel and voles think its their fridge. I'm going to try hot pepper on the seed and see if that cuts down on the feeders.

Like (0 likes)

About half of my area goes to corn each year.  I rotate by putting the corn on this side this year and that side next year.   I don't worry much about the other crops since they are always following corn.  At end of season the corn stalks get tilled into the soil.  That is a lot of organic matter added to the soil, plus I put leaves and grass clippings on the garden when I have them.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)

The ability of one plant to inhibit the growth of another is called  allelopathy.

Sunflowers exhibit alleopathy.  Many things will not do well near sunflowers.  It is believed it is the roots that exude some chemical that hinders the growth of other species.  

That aside, I have found it best to give all plants their own space, and enough of it, for best results.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)

You're right James.  Sunflowers are great in the feeders where we don't want other seed to sprout.  It has saved me hours of weeding in that area. The established plants-are doing fine.  Newly sprouting seed doesn't seem to be able to take root.  Someone from a bird blog suggested only sunflowers for a couple of seasons..allelopathy indeed.  

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image