Forums
Search

Hurricane Sandy

This is from the other end of the island GardenD lives on:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_new...-through-queens?lite

She's up at the JFK side though, which is a few miles away.

And mgulf, you're right. When I googled it to see how high, I grabbed the surge height at New Orleans and didn't look more, but they didn't get the worst. It came into parts of Mississippi though at 28+ feet Eeker

Like (0 likes)
I doubt if many, if any, in the affected areas have power today. If you do, hope you can spare some time to check in & let everyone know how you faired.
Keeping everyone in that area in my thoughts. Hope the fires didn't affect any of our friends either!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
Just a little something for everyone to consider in flooding/heavy sustained rain situtations....
We are on a hill, the highest one in our area. The house actually sits about 2-3' off the highest elevation and we have a deep crawl space, no basement. When we had tropical storm Faye, come & stall out over us for 3 days and drop 12" of rain...our crawl space flooded. It was as deep as it could get in there before running out the scuttle holes, about 1 1/2'. So being on a hill is no guarantee that you can't be affected by flooding.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

Like (0 likes)
We're OK here. I think that the wind made my rain gauge wacky. Yesterday it said 6.2" and this morning it was 4.2" which I think is correct.

The wind gusts only went to 41 mph which is so much less damaging than the 65-70 mph that was predicted.

We lost the rest of one ornamental pear tree that was already damaged from the hail storm in June so we were extremely lucky.

I had placed a plastic tunnel over my spinach on Saturday and even it was OK so we are feeling VERY fortunate.

Many in PA are without power but not us. There will also be flooding but we are not in a flood prone area.

Thanks for all of your thoughts during this scary and difficult time.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Glad you made it BR! Having been on the edge of several hurricanes AND tornados...I know how scarey it can be....especially if it is happening at night!
Sooo glad you didn't have any major damage!

Like (0 likes)
Unfortunately they will soon be facing the second storm: Fly by night contractors, Federal agencies that promise X number of dollars and then deliver 1/2 that amount, insurance agents that falsify or hid engineering reports stating wind damage so that they can roll you over on to the federal flood program, and worse of all hatefull comments on the internet from the rest of the US.
On the plus side private groups and churches will be flocking their to help. I remember the Mennonites and the Rainbow Nation jointly operating a free kitchen after Katrina so you will also see the best.

mississippi gulf coast zone 8
Like (0 likes)
Good news brown,I hope we keep getting good news from everybody else out there on the east coast.

Northern Il,along the Fox River.

Like (0 likes)
I was lucky where I am. But I can't say that for the many others I have been seeing on the news this morning. My heart goes out to them.

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
Glad to hear you fared well, lisaaann,brown and pepper. Let's hope we get the same news from GD, peter, claude, Judy

coastguy- Such a good point you made. And I hadn't heard about Mennonites and Rainbow Nation working a kitchen together. What an image! Made my heart happy.
Disasters definitely bring out goodness and open hearts.

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
My son lives in Brooklyn and was taking some photos today in lower Manhattan and found this and wrote: "Beehives. Didn't expect to see those wash up in manhattan. Waterline along the fence behind. They were scattered all up and down the river. Lower manhattan is pretty eerie today."

Photos (1)
525506_688929223325_71564473_n

Like (0 likes)
I guess we won't be hearing from Peter and GD for awhile?

It's still raining off and on here, but I made out okay. Just past the 6" mark of rain earlier, but my gardens are still in MY yard! And the neighbor's trees are still in hers.

Guess some bees lost their home though, by the looks of it.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Too much of a
good/bad thing!

Like (0 likes)
blub, blub, blub (hic), everything's cool.

Like (0 likes)
Woo Hoo! Glad to hear from you Peter! Is your sand still where you left it Sunday?

Hope we soon hear from GD.

Listening to the news tonight:

They say it is kinda like Katrina, and I agree;

Tuned in to see how things went with Katrina early that morning, before sun up, things seemed to be okay, by the time I came home from work that day, the levies had broke and all that nice talk was history.

Seems like the same thing happening north of me now. Can't even imagagine life up there right now. Can't get gas, food, ect..............

Peter, can you elaborate on the situation on Cape Cod? How about pictures?

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Cape Cod was mostly just high winds and monster tides on the South coast, where I am. Power out for a while, but it was warm, and no real danger. Just a good time to renew respect for our Mother.

Like (0 likes)
We are thankful, dry and got the power back this morning. The winds sure were scary..last time that I heard winds like that was during another hurricane in Miami in the 70's.
We are all feeling very lucky this time around.

Like (0 likes)
Hiya all!

Dodged the big bullet here.

Big wind and lots of rain but no damage nor injury, thankfully!

Very, very fortunate, I was!

(Thanks for thinking of us, DW!) Smiler

Hoping for the best from GD.

What horrible devastation so many are suffering.

~~~~ I garden ♥ therefore I am. ~~~~

~~~~ Zone 7a  Southeastern PA ~~~~ Member since 2002 ~~~~

Like (0 likes)
Cleaned up my minor damage today (one tree came down across the driveway, where I could go around it).

I know GD said she lived on a hill...saw a map of the flood zone today and there's one hill on the Rockaways that would've escaped this.

Had an internet acquitance who went out this weekend to de-water and clean out his mother-in-laws basement on Staten Island. He posted what intersection she's near...it's nearly a mile inland! I never realized SI was that flat.

Like (0 likes)
Hello everyone. We are safe. No electricity or heat (except from Mr. Stove). Many of my neighbors were flooded and a good friend and colleague lost his life when he became trapped in his basement. We have a Jewish comunity center around the corner which is providing hot meals, food, water, laundry service, and security to the neighborhood. There has been a lot of looting of homes, so my husband has been manning the dispatch of the community patrol, which gives him something to do besides drive us crazy. I am back at work, for as long as we have gas for the car. Electric at home should be on in one to seven weeks. It is an inconvenience, compared to those who lost everything. They are predicting snow for this week, so I took in what was left of the tomatoes, peppers and beans. Hope everyone else is safe and sound.

Abigail

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
So glad to hear from you and that you're okay. Our prayers are with you and all those who are suffering. Keep safe.

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
So glad to hear you and yours are OK. Sorry to hear about your friend. Looting? Jeez folks, have some compassion!

Like (0 likes)
So glad you & your family are safe GD!
Sounds like the community has pulled together & is handling things! Wish I could send you some gas! ((hugs))

Like (0 likes)
I was so glad to see your post and hear you and your family are all safe. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. And I had a great chuckle envisioning you pick your produce before the frost. A moment of normalcy in the middle of the chaos. Blessings to you and yours and your beautiful community.

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
So glad to hear your family is safe.

Northern Il,along the Fox River.

Like (0 likes)
garden dmpls did you lose any gardening equipment, i have some extra pruners, hoes, rakes, etc just give me the word....take care!

Like (0 likes)
Whew!

Like (0 likes)
So glad to hear that you and your family are safe
Sorry about your neighbor. Thoughts and prayers your way. Peace.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the offer, but I put everything away before the storm. Last night, my son sent me a generator from his home in Muncie, NY and an electrician volunteer from Lakewood, NJ got it hooked up, so we got heat and light just in time. It is snowing now and we are taking in a few kids from closer to the water who were flooded and won't have heat or electricity for a while. We traveled through Far Rockaway yesterday and I can say we are truely blessed.

Like (0 likes)
You and your husband and children are good people. You help each other and others too.

Live, Love & Garden, veggie gal

Coastal Newport Beach, CA, Zone 10b

Like (0 likes)
That's wonderful news GD. Glad you are OK.

I hope that this next storm is kind to you as well. We may have sleet and wet snow here but the predictions are worse for NY.

Good luck.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
I still have repair damage from Katrina, your neighborhood will be rehab damage for a while so let us know what needs are in your neighborhood
i support those i trust! rather than telethons or some large but inefficient organations.

Like (0 likes)
We got our power back on Sunday, our sewer unclogged at midnight Monday and our water heater replaced by my son today. Laundry and hot shower, here I come. My youngest is in the hospital. At least i know she is safe and cared for.

Like (0 likes)
Last request, i support you after reading your gardening advice, let us know if any ,again, any need you or your neighbors need from Sandy damage, i was damaged severly from Hurricane Katrina i was supported by family and friends
so let us know!!

Like (0 likes)
Yes, please, if know of a local organization, your synagogue or shelter where we could send donations, maybe you could post the address here so we could donate directly.

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
I was in the mountains during the whole storm thing so I kind of missed all the news.
But after reading these posts I just want to say that I'm happy to hear everyone is safe.

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

The high Utah Desert---Zone 3 to 5

(it's a crap shoot every year)

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image