Forums
Search

Why you should mulch your beds before you retire them for the winter.

I left Bed 1 go without mulching last fall. I hate me.:

I mulched bed 2 and 3 with grass clippings and leaves:

You don't see a weed problem in bed 2, do you? And there is none in bed 3.

Bed 4 did not have an issue, because hubby tilled that.

The other beds were not tilled. And only the mulched beds are weed free.

Bed one is hating me.

Oh, Rexx, see the salsify? Decided to not harvest and let it go to seed. Figured I need fresh seeds and more than two roots to make some mock oyster stew. Dang, them seeds only hatch when they are fresh out of the pod. Hahahahahahaha

I know there is more I want to relate to you guys about this, but, right now I am glad bed 1 is weed free(yep, while these pics were downloading on DIAL UP, I got it done!) hahahahhhaha

And you KNOW how slow dial up is!

MARYLAND zone 6
I'm with ya girl! I let one bed go fallow last year and although it had plenty of mulch during the summer, I didn't get around to covering it with leaves in the fall. Frowner The Johnson grass that I had so carefully removed in past years is BACK!!! sigh...if I don't get busy in the next few days that bed may have to be a fall garden!

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
I left all the straw in place and piled leaves on. The only trouble with mulch is the ground does not thaw out as quickly. Now with the nearly 3" of rain we have had, it will be pretty wet under there as well.

I usually go out and rake it all to the side to let the soil dry out so I can dig.

Your beds look great Lisaaann!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
LA, I left one salsify plant in the ground because hubby wanted to see it flower. I tried making it this year cut into little sticks and either breading and frying in buttter or just sauteeing in butter and it was so delicious. We liked it better than the soup.

I always put my garden to bed for the winter. We till in the Fall and then cover with a thick layer of chopped leaves and straw.

No weeds there in the Spring but my flower beds have more weeds than in your picture. I have been working on those and my back is killing me!

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
We have lots of wild salsify around here which interferes with seed saving.

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
All of my raised beds were full of a pretty easy to pull weed, and they're pretty much done. But the asparagus is another story lol - here is my toughest cause the shoots are pretty deep:

6a  Northeast Indiana/Florida during the freeze

Photos (1)

Like (0 likes)
then I have LOTS of this, too, but they are shallow and have what appears to be rhizomes?

Photos (1)

Like (0 likes)
OK and a handful of these - maybe I will learn how to put multiple pics in one reply Smiler

Photos (1)

Like (0 likes)
And make those pics bigger! Big Grin

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
babysteps Lisaann lol

Like (0 likes)
The middle picture looks like a wood violet. I have them growing all over the place here. I often move them to a shady spot for where they will bloom for me.

North Central Illinios

Like (0 likes)
Thanks Oliver Man. They're really easy to pull so I will try some in the shade Smiler Plenty of weeds there, too, tho. The people who lived here were wonderful gardeners, but I don't think it's had much care in years - not complaining - I LOVE IT Smiler

Like (0 likes)
Joanie if you wait until after a rain they should be a lot easier to pull and they will disturb the soil less.

Still no asparagus shoots here yet!

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Brownrexx - we'd had a rain so it wasn't too bad Smiler Now we've had BUCKETS so this time should be a breeze! I went to check things yesterday after the overnight downpour thinking probably all my seeds had washed away, and lo a behold I had spinach, radish, and pea seedlings up Smiler Made me very happy Smiler I do think somewhere Adelaide and Garner are happy that someone is loving on their land lol

Like (0 likes)
we've had a week of continuous rain, and another week of daily rain in the forecast - there were a few snowflakes this morning Eeker

tried to shore myself up with 2 cups of tea and 1/2 a chocolate bar, but it wouldn't do - had to run to the store for coffee, I though I should give it up for a bit, but, alas, not today. Can't handle it.

After some coffee, I'll be checking out my seedlings....I saw the dog doing something around the asparagus - do dogs ever dig the shoots for themselves?

He's learned to hold a raspberry branch down and help himself to the berries Mad

Like (0 likes)
and lisa - I failed to mulch my beds as well. the biggest problem for me was that it didn't have the worm action I saw before with the leaves....and with the dryness of winter, I didn't get much in the way of weeds, this weeklong waterworks is very much needed. Just would like a day of strong sunshine every 3rd day or so to help the seedlings along.

Like (0 likes)
I finally got all of my onions weeded.
I pulled radishes yesterday & ate them for supper. I have a head of cabbage that needs cut and the cabbage worms are HERE! Mad
I have tomatoes blooming, now I just need to see some fruits set!
I ran out of space and then bought some bell pepper plants...they are going into flower beds this year!

I'm getting ready to build a raised bed...if I had it done, I would be planting green beans & maybe some corn!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image