Forums
Search

What does Catnip smell like??

OK, don't laugh (never mind, go ahead). Like Chris, I need to identify a plant. But I'm not clever enuf to know how to download pics soo......By the leaf shape, and the squared stem I'd say it belongs to the mint family. But the 'smell' is somewhat 'lemony' when crushed. My mom said it's catmint, however she also told me wild mustard garlic was catmint (boy was THAT a mistake, let the stuff grow for a whole season and I'm STILL pullin' the stuff out of everywhere).

Also, I have several cats and unlike other posts I've read about the cats going nuts for the nip and the mint, my guys could care less about the stuff.

Any ideas?

Kitt

FYI - not all cats get a kick out catnip - it's not a given.I've had 2 cats so far that could not have cared less about it.

ID-wise, catnip leaves are larger, more triangular than catmint,on longer stems IMPE - & fuzzier too.Catmint leaves are more round, on shorter stems.In fact, the whole catnip plant is very 'downy' - @ least the kind I've always grown has been.The smell is a musky kind of minty-ness - not unpleasant, but definitely not 'lemony' in my opinion.
Flowerheads are much fatter too (tho stalks are shorter), & pale pink - aren't catmint flowers kind of purple-y?

Try GoogleImage for lotsa ID pix - just type in(individually): catmint, catmint flower, catnip plant, catnip flower, etc. & see if you get anything you recognise:

http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=

Be aware that catnip in the USA is a.k.a. catmint in the UK(I believe)...

HTH

Like (0 likes)
CB - I cannot thank you enuf!!! That is a great site!! AND, I do not have catnip, or catmint - it's Lemon Balm!! Boy am I glad I didn't buy those seeds!! Now that I know what it is I'm gonna go pick and dry some! Thank you again.

Kitt

Like (0 likes)
Oh hey, you're welcome - glad to be able to help Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
My vet friend refers to catnip as "kitty pot"! Razzer Our "Swiper" couldn't care less about it either. I planted it for him so that he wouldn't chew on the leaves of my other plants and herbs. He seems to take pleasure in my noting his avoidance of it...ded-blame cat!

What is essential, is invisible to the eye.
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image