Forums
Search

corn gluten meal and grass seed

I moved into a home with lawn that had been neglected. I chose to apply corn gluten meal first to get rid of crab grass and other weeds creeping into the lawn. Now how long should I wait to apply grass seed and should I rake up the thatch first?
Thanks

http://bonniesamuelartist.com
Corn gluten meal prevents seeds from germinating, all seeds, and does nothing else (well, except add some N to the soil). Maybe somebody here knows how long after application you can broadcast grass seed, but my recollection is that it's at *least* several weeks. We're not a big lawn crowd here. Wink

And welcome to the OG forums! You'll find over time a lot of friends and useful advice.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks, Pfossel, that helps. And appreciate the welcome too.

Like (0 likes)
quote:
We're not a big lawn crowd here

Ain't that the truth! Razzer

Paul
Like (0 likes)
I have a memory that it's about 12 weeks. I suggest you pick a test patch of a foot or so and try to sprout grass seed there every few weeks...

Thatch will take care of itself...I think thatch worries were invented by people who make dethatching machines.

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
Thanks to all for the info-very helpful.

Like (0 likes)
I believe you plant grass seed in the fall and spread the gluten meal in the spring. We have the same problem where we moved. I just threw compost and grass seed all over and hope the new grass will shade out the weeds, which appear to be low growing stuff. I may hand pull some of it and add seed and compost mixed together to the bare spots that will leave. Haven't even looked for a mower yet, but I did get a small chain saw to trim back the trees, which should also help.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
Iowa State University people are the ones that discovered the growth inhibiting properties of Corn Gluten Meal, and they have good advice on lawn seeding readily available at yuour counties ISU Cooperative Extension Service. If you apply the CGM at the right time you will not have enough time left in the spring to seed grass before the hot, dry summer weather begins, so plan on fall seeding which is a better timt to seed a lawn anyway.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
You have gotten some acurate info here. The instructions say to apply early spring and fall for an established lawn. You do it before the dandelions (if that's what you're after) start blooming because it works on weed seed that haven't sprouted yet. (Nothing for existing weeds) It is a great nitrogen booster. Fall is the best time to seed. CG does not descriminate--no seed will sprout--3-4months.
I like what it does for the lawn.

Like (0 likes)
Do you have to buy pure corn gluten meal, or will regular corn meal work? And, will corn meal still be a good fertilizer if the corn is spoiled? I grew dent corn last year, and some of the stalks blew down, so the ears were on the ground and mildewed. The chickens won't touch it, it would be poison to the horses, but would it make good compost or fertilizer?

Like (0 likes)
IDK--I've only purchased--40lb sack, "red rooster"...You'll have to ask another corn grower
abt the compostable stuff you've got.
Some day I'll plant the lower acre with corn. Smiler

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image