Forums
Search

Whats the difference

I have cabbage loopers on my flowers and i have the stuff called Bt but im wanting to know what the difference is between all the different names: BTK, BTB ? seems like there are others, with a letter after the BT. :_|

Also is Pyrethrum/Rotenone spray organic or is that kind of a dumb question ? i heard it is made up of plants or plant roots but not sure.

One more question is there a difference between Neem and Neem oil and Neem oil soap and bioneem ?

Thanks
Scott

Well, I'll go for the Bt:

Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is the overall name of a naturally-occurring bacteria ("bacillus") found in many soils and even on many plants that's been found to be toxic to varieties of crop-damaging caterpillers/larvae from moths and butterflies. There's been different varieties formulated to attack different species.

-Bt. tenebrionis (you may find this also listed as san diego which controls Colorado potato beetle and elm leaf beetle larvae
-Bt. kurstaki (also known as Bt.berliner) which controls caterpillars, cabbage loopers
-Bt. israelensis controls mosquito, black fly, and fungus gnat larva. (These can be found as "dunks" applied to rainbarrels, birdbaths. etc.)
-Bt. aizawai controls wax moth larvae, various caterpillars (especially the diamondback moth caterpillar).

Those are the ones I'm aware of. If there's more, I'm sure there's other OGers who'll chime in, and if I'm incorrect on any of them, I'm also sure it'll be corrected.

As far as the neem, pyrethrum & rotenone: all are "organic" & "natural", but they're still insecticides and fungicides and should be used w/caution. Many times beneficials can be harmed in the process of using them. (Bioneem, btw, I believe is just a trade name.)

I'm sure there's others here who will provide more info on them as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
Pyrethrum is made from the roots of certain chrysanthimums and has been found to be toxic to many insects. It is a broad spectrum pesticide that needs to be used as a last resort and with due care since it will kill any insect that contacts it, good, bad, or indifferent.
Rotenone also comes from a plant, but this is no longer recognized as an organic pest control because it does get into ponds, streams, and lakes and kills the aqautic life there. This remains potent a long time.
The Neem products are different in which part of the Neem tree is used and while these products are not too toxic to humans they are also a broad spectrum poison that needs to be used with due care.
gardenz gave you a very good description of the various Bacillus thuringiensis products and since these are only toxic to certain species of insects and they all must be ingested by the target insect and are only activated in that insects gut they are one of those poisons that can be used as a first choice, depending on what you need to control.
Keep in mind that organic gardeners start with the least toxic means of control, often just letting the natural predators do that job, before even resorting to sprays. If your soil is in a good, healthy condition, with the nutrients in proper balance, the plants growing there will be strong and healthy and will not be attractive to insect pests.

Like (0 likes)
I must say one thing here. Kimmsr. is right about healthy soil and I am updating: Brussell sprouts were in very small seedling pots and getting ate up. Moved them to my composted within an inch of it's life garden, and nothing has touched them since. Story could change, but so far so good. This is my first time for them and I thought they were going to be a very pest prone plant at the beginning, but so far I am happy.
lisaann

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image