Forums
Search

how many things can you do with green beans

Confused My family is going to disown me soon, they're sick of green beans and the garden is still producing. I just de-frosted my deep freezer and composed almost a dozen bags of frozer beans from last year..... even though we have been eating them all winter. Even the neighbours are getting tired of them.

Does anyone have any "different" kinds of recipes?

Debbie, in Southern Ontario... where there are only 2 seasons.... snow and sow!
Mommamac,
This might not be a different way to fix them for you, but this is my favorite.

I saute a medium chopped onion and minced garlic in a little butter, then when they are translucent I add mushrooms (canned or fresh). Next I add french cut green beans and cook until tender. Hope this helps! Smiler

Like (0 likes)
I like green beans with pesto sauce. Of course, it helps that every year my CSA has a "pesto fest" and I make tons of pesto every September!

The book "Joy of Gardening Cookbook" has an interesting recipe for green bean pate', with pureed green beans and almonds.

Like (0 likes)
I do something similar to Buffalo Gal.

Sauté some onion.
Stir fry some cubed potatoes til they brown.
Mix with the cooked green beans.
You can also add tomato if you like.
Herbs, garlic or not to your preference.

I've also made Cream of Green Bean Soup.
I like to pick my beans before they get big and tough but my neighbor who has a farm upstate will bring me very large beans sometimes.
I cook them (make sure there are no strings first so you don't have to strain it) and food processor them to pureé, then make a rue and thicken with milk and/or chicken stock to desired thickness...salt and pepper...good plain or doctored up.
Smiler
~~~~

~~~~ I garden ♥ therefore I am. ~~~~

~~~~ Zone 7a  Southeastern PA ~~~~ Member since 2002 ~~~~

Like (0 likes)
This is what I do & there're never enough - rarely leftovers - simply roast them , sprinkled w/ a little sea salt in an oiled (I like extra virgin olive) enamelled roasting pan @ 425F for 15 minutes.I often do potatoes(which take longer:20-25 minutes) @ the same time - & every so often, summer squash & sliced onions as well, then combine all those roasted veggies w/ some good organic mayo, salt & pepper & toasted sunflower seeds for a salad.Chopped lemon basil is a yummy addition.

& if you're sick of them on their own, try adding them to other dishes - about the only way I make layered scalloped potatoes anymore is w/ a layer of cut green beans in the middle - & some fresh dill & garlic too - it's really, really good.

& arroz con pollo (chicken & rice) is very good w/ cut green beans in it too.Come to think of it, you could leave out the chicken & call it 'Spanish rice'.....

HTH

Like (0 likes)
Here's a recipe that's probably new for you, and is something I do with beans every year when they start getting over-abundant. It is a good way to use up overgrown beans, and it doubles well, using up 3 lbs at a shot. It freezes well, too, I found out last year, needing just a brief drying out in a skillet after thawing. (the shrimp and preserved vegetable [canned] may be found in any Asian market).

Szechwan Dry-Fried Green Beans

1 1/2 lbs green beans (fresh); in 1 1/2 in. lengths
1/2 inch ginger; minced
1/2 cup(s) dried shrimp
1/2 cup(s) szechwan preserved vegetable, minced
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
6 tb vegetable oil

A. Soak the shrimp in warm water 2 hrs. Drain, and mince in FP with preserved vegetable and set aside.

B. Heat 3 tb oil in a 12" skillet or 10" sauté pan over high heat. Add beans and stir-fry 2 min., then reduce heat to medium. Cook 7 min. longer, stirring frequently, then remove to a plate and wipe out pan.

C. Heat pan over high heat and add 3 tb oil. Add shrimp mixture and ginger and SF 1 min. Add sesame oil and sugar and SF 1 min. Add beans, reduve heat to medium, and cook 10 min., tossing several times. Reduce heat to minimum, and cook 1 1/2- 2 hrs., tossing occasionally. Beans should be dark brownish green, and chewy when done, coated with crunchy specks of the flavorings.

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
Green Beans are my favorite! Try one of these different green bean recipes:
Smiler Indiana Succotash
· 1 1/2 pounds green beans
· 1 1/2 cups green onions with tops -- chopped
· 2 17 oz cans whole kernel corn -- drained
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
· 6 tablespoons butter
· 3/4 teaspoon paprika
· 3/4 teaspoon celery salt

Cut beans in rounds the size of corn; cook with 1/2 teaspoon salt about 15 minutes or until tender, drain. Saute green onions in butter until transparent (do not brown). Add corn, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, celery salt and sugar, then beans. Simmer succotash, covered, for about 10 minutes.

GREEN BEAN ALMONDINE
Equivalent of 2 cans of beans, precooked or blanched5-6 slices bacon, fried crisp1 sm. onion, finely chopped1 sm. can chopped mushrooms, drained (save liquid)1 c. slivered almondsYellow cheese, grated or Parmesan cheeseIn baking dish, alternate layers of green beans with crumbled bacon, onion, mushrooms, and almonds. Bake at 350 degrees until thoroughly heated and liquid reduced. Makes 6 servings.

Like (0 likes)
This recipe website has lots of interesting green bean recipes:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/farmers/bean-recipes.htm

good luck!

Like (0 likes)
My guys like them pickled! Use your dill recipe and add some sliced jalepenos. They eat a whole jar when they open one. I have to hide them if I want any for the holidays. I cannot pickle enough for them!

Like (0 likes)
Even dh (who is not a fan) wanted seconds on this soup made with frozen green beans from last year's garden.

Cream of Green Bean Soup

1/2 lb. green beans
3 c. veggie stock
2 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 c. chopped chives
1/4 c. butter
2 small cloves of crushed garlic
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

1/4 c. sour cream
1 T. lemon juice

Combine all ingredients (except sour cream & lemon juice) in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 min. Place 1/3 of the bean mix in a blender, puree, then recombine with previous mixture. Fold in sour cream and lemon juice.

This is great with homemade biscuits!

MB

Like (0 likes)
My DH does not like vegetables, but I've found I can get him to eat most any vegetable if I make cheese sauce for it. And cheesy green beans are his favorite.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
What about blanching and freezing them? Then you have them whenever!

Have a great gardening day! hoe, hoe, hoe Pea

Upstate NY, zone 5

Like (0 likes)
I had fried green beans at a restaurant the other day. Not the healthiest way to prepare, but quite tasty and would probably appeal to the kids. They were breaded and fried, like you would with okra.

Like (0 likes)
like Pep-head, I tend to like them best with Asian flavors. I saute them in canola oil, a little sesame oil, mashed garlic and ginger.

I also like 'em steamed with Chinese oyster sauce (does not usually contain oysters), with or without sliced almonds or sesame seeds or even sunflower seeds.

Or I add them to whatever I'm stir-frying.

Or sauteed in olive oil (or butter) with a lot of salt, pepper, and toasted pine nuts.

Like (0 likes)
Gooseberry, I really like that site whose link you posted. Thanks!!

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image