Forums
Search

what fertilizer do you use?

Hi guys,

Just wanting to know what Fertilizer you use and if anyone here uses worm tea?

I have some stunned lettuce that is just not growing and has turned a slight yellow color.
I'm thinking its a magnesium deficiency but not sure.

Thanks and happy gardening

First, let us know where you are, please.

Next, "stunned" or stunted lettuce is usually a result of N deficiency, among other causes. Worm tea is an excellent elixer.

Water it well, keep it cool to avoid bolting (going to seed) and grow it fast. You'll do fine.

Peter

Like (0 likes)
I'm in New Zealand top of the south island. Thanks for the reply I'm looking at starting a worm farm so I was on the right track.
I have just mixed in sheep pellets hoping that will help. The soil was not well conditioned when I planted.

Like (0 likes)
Hi,worm compost,worm tea is a perfect addition to enrich the soil.If you want start a worm farm look here fore some tips: start worm farm
Best luck and regards, ThaiGer

http://camping-in-thailand.com/ and http://www.farmersvoice.info/ "To know what we know, and know what we do not know, that is understanding."(Confucius)
Like (0 likes)
Plant leaves turning yellow might indicate a Nitrogen deficiency or, depending on how the leaves are yellowing indicate a deficiency of Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc, Iron, Sulfur, Boron, Copper, Manganese, or Molebdenum. How well are those plants growing? A Nitrogen deficiency is usually acconpanied with stunted plant growth (which you said was there) with the lower leaves yellowing first and new growth being a paler green.
Fertilizers should be thought of as quick fixes, something like a steroid, but not as long term solutions. Sources of quick fix N acceptable to an organic grower might be Manure or Compost teas, blood meal, a tea from a vermicomposting (worm) bin.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
Sounds like a Boron deficiency to me!

Dirt Roll Eyes

PS. Not to be picky but it's Molybdenum!

Like (0 likes)
Nice hearing from New Zealand.

See what kind of lettuce are being
grown in your area.

Try different varieties of lettuce from
all over the world.

Look in your supermarkets and see
what's being grown in your area.

I hope you can grow your lettuce.

Good Luck

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for all the helpful reply's.

ThaiGer that link on worm farming was a huge help and very informative, i will be copying how he made his farm, looks nice and easy.

Kimm1, Thanks for the helpful information, I'm finding soil nutrition very interesting, lucky for me I have a very addictive personality so when I find something I like I spend ALOT of time researching into it so I can fully understand it.

The plants seem to be doing better, I watered with some Epsom salt so could be that.

Happy Gardening everyone

Like (0 likes)
More than likely it was just the water that helped and the Epsom Salts had little to noothing to do with what you are seeing. Aside from being hyped by people with a vested interest in selling the product I have found nothing that demonstrates that the very small amount of Magnesium or Sulfur the Epsom Slats would provide would have any effect on growing plants. You can choose to believe Dr. Chalker-Scott writes here or not.
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~L...hs/Epsom%20salts.pdf

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by Pfossel:
Worm tea is an excellent elixer.

LOL - I'm still not drinking it! I'll stick with earl gray or green with jasmine in the am and sleepytime in the pm!!

Like (0 likes)
Thanks Kimm1 for that read, I have gone away from thinking the Epsom salt had anything to do with the increase in the veg growth as all the veg have grown a noticeable amount. now to search the internet for some other uses for Epsom salt..

Thanks

Like (0 likes)
I keep Epsom Salts on hand for when we get bad splinters or cuts on our hands. Soak in a glass of epsom salts with hot water works wonders and will help you get splinters out.

I just had a splinter go under my fingernail over the weekend. I was able to pull it out but I soaked in epsom salts and hot water to avoid an infection and it also helped it to quit throbbing!

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the great tip brownrexx.

Like (0 likes)
I always try to use just as much compost as I do composted chicken manure.

============= Love your soil.....feed your worms... (Used to be Sweetpea, contributing here since 2002)
Like (0 likes)
I just got a bucket full of sheep poop that has been lying on the fields for a few weeks.
Should I chuck it in my compost or is it dry enough to just in the veg patch.

The poop is black and solid.

Like (0 likes)
I think it's a good rule of thumb to only put amendments that are completely broken down and unrecognizable into where you'll be planting. Especially if you will be planting within a week or two.

But it's also a good idea to mix small amounts of manure or compost together make it go farther, and yet don't be too skimpy. There is nothing worse than trying to spread it too thin and your plants start struggling.

Raw manure should never get splashed up by rain or hose water into lettuce or vegetables that you'll eat raw, or pick with bare hands because there can be the issue of bacteria that will make you sick.

============= Love your soil.....feed your worms... (Used to be Sweetpea, contributing here since 2002)
Like (0 likes)
Animal manures will go much further if they are added to a compost pile rather then added to a garden. Mixed into the compost with 1 part of the animal manure to 3 parts of vegetative waste makes for a whole lot more to use in the garden and that helps conserve the more soluble nutrients that could get washed out of the soil with rains when manures are simply put into the garden.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image