Forums
Search

Kitchenaid Mixer question

...so I'm at the dump Saturday and pickup a tilt-head mixer.

Probably an 1990-something model (KSM90, predecessor to the current KSM95) needing a bit of TLC -- mostly a good cleaning with some Meguiars compound like you use to really clean car finishes, and maybe a small amount of sanding and touch-up paint on some of the parts where the chrome has worn away.

No mixers or bowl. Mixers aren't bad...but I nearly had a heart attack tonight when I finally started looking up things and it seems that I can't touch a bowl for these things for under $50...maybe a bit cheaper online but then you add in shipping.

Do you really need the Kitchenaid specific metal bowls?

Yes, you need a specific bowl. Have you checked ebay? Also, there are four quart bowls, and five quart bowls and you have to know which one your model takes.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
YOu could try kijiji. I think you have it in the U.S. and it's local, no shipping.
Mavis

[hr]I've discovered that duct tape is like the FORCE, it has a light side a dark side and it holds the universe together.
Like (0 likes)
Well, Matt, I'll tell ya'. I got one of those after receiving a generous gift certificate from some doctors I worked with. I really do NOT like the KitchenAid mixer for several reasons. 1) It's awfully heavy but still loves to shimmy all over the counter top if it's not held down. 2) The bowl requires scraping all the time as the blade doesn't clean the sides like my old 1970 MixMaster did. If/when it dies I will never buy another one for the reasons you just mentioned. All/any of the accessories are very pricey and though the machine is powerful, and I use it for everything, I don't love it. I would definately look for another new mixer with all it's parts before spending big bucks on a bowl for a Kitchenaid. Just my humble opinion!

Take me home Country Roads to the place I belong...
Like (0 likes)
It ended up at the dump for a reason, maybe the repair costs were the reason! You can probably get a new or used one for the price of fixing it up.

I like mine, but it is heavy and doesn't shimmy around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
If you put a damp cloth under it ,it won't shimmy around. If you can't find the oarts for it or they are too expensive why not sell it Someone might just want to have it for parts for there own mixer,,,just a thought.
Mavis

[hr]I've discovered that duct tape is like the FORCE, it has a light side a dark side and it holds the universe together.
Like (0 likes)
another thought on the "dancing mixers"....

especially on "old" ones - the rubber feet / cushions get hard from age. depending on the style / model, the feet push into holes or are mounted with screws. a local hardware store may or may not have suitable replacements - but it's worth a shot.

Like (0 likes)
I love mine! Husband bought it for me when we bought our first home back in 1994 & it's still going strong (& no "shimmying"). I mostly use it for mixing bread dough - everything from French baguette dough to Indian naan. Love it! Mine isn't the tilt-back model though, it's the next-step-up model where the utensils lift up & you slide the bowl out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
I inherited my Mom's 1950 kitchenaid, and tore off an eraser head from a new pencil to grip the counter. I found new beaters and a second bowl at a flea market and I wore that mixer out until 3 years ago when I was gifted a new one by DH.
Then I handed it down to a younger sister who was setting up house and it's still going strong.

Like (0 likes)
We were given a 5qt bowl lift model 14 years ago as a wedding gift and we love it. My only gripe with it is that the bowl is too small for my favorite bread recipe (makes 3 loaves). We have never had a problem with it moving around on the counter, I agree with Wiki that you might want to check into new feet for it. As for the weight, I always have to get it out of the cupboard for my wife since she just can't lift it. Once we get into our new house, I plan on putting in a mixer lift like this one.

Like (0 likes)
Mr.g, that mixer lift looks exactly like the typewriter lift that was in my desk at my old job many years ago! Good idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow... David Mallett, "Garden Song"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern Maine, zone 4

Like (0 likes)
I got mine in the late 80's, use it extensively. And I do remember when I decided I needed an extra bowl, I did not even look at the price, I cook for a huge crowd of people several times of year, and I have never regretted it, but it was expensive at the time.

My mother thinks you could mix small batches of cement in it. I love mine, and bought a new one for my daughter in law's wedding shower.

I also have the meat grinder attachment, and it works great too!

If you love to cook, and bake it is worth every penney.

MrsK

Like (0 likes)
Love that meat grinder attachment. When roast is on sale cheaper than hamburger we use it to make our own hamburger!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I have the pasta extruder attachment, but I've never had success producing anything above paper mache...god, it was awful. I'm getting the gumption to try again. Maybe I didn't chill the dough enough?

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
nema-my grandmother NEVER washed the pasta attachment, never chilled the dough. Just hand mixed up the dough on the counter, while it was sitting, she floured up the attachment-running it to distribute the flour on all parts. Reflouring sections after their first run thru. Less is more.
At first I thought, yuck! No washing? Then,I realized that the would wipe it clean and store in a clean cotton towel in a plastic bag. It works.

Like (0 likes)
Actually, I've never heard of chilling pasta dough. Whether making it by hand or using a machine I've always just mixed, kneaded, & rolled or extruded.

As far as cleaning, while I don't yet have a pasta attachment for my KitchenAid, I do have a good old "as seen on TV" Ron Popeil/Ronco pasta machine that - while dishwasher safe - is simple to clean regardless. You just let the parts dry, and any & all pasta particles just fall off or knock out of the pieces easily & can then be rinsed & dried.

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
I found a recipe book that was with my moms things from her Kitchen Aid mixer probably from the 1940s when she was first married.

Northern Il,along the Fox River.

Like (0 likes)
We bought one for daughter and son-in-law for Christmas, 2002. Bought one for myself, and if I had known how much I would enjoy using this appliance, I would have spent the extra $$$$ and purchased the pro model. I love my Kitchen-Aid mixer.

Gardening like I'm gonna live forever  Right here in central Iowa!!

My heart is warm with friends I make.

And better friends I'll not be knowing.

There isn't a train I wouldn't take.

No matter where it's going.

"Travel"-Edna St. Vincent Millay

Like (0 likes)
My hubby bought one- before we were together, say 2000? He bought one where it has the biggest motor, and the bowl is stable, the top moves up and down. And yes, I think you could mix cement in it. We always laugh, b/c when it gets to the part of the recipe where it says to take it off the mixer and hand mix, we say HA! it can handle anything. I use it for bread, cake, cookies, etc. The one we have does not shimmy at all, probably b/c its so heavy, its a little bigger than your standard countertop model, and unfortunately does not fit under upper cabinets on the counter. But its waesome, and I would suggest you fix it up, you'll find yourself using it much more often than you think.

Like (0 likes)
I was gifted one 10 yrs ago and I just love that machine, never put it away either--it's always ready. My girls are so used to working in a well equipped kitchen that they are going to go into shell shock when they start outfitting their own kitchens...lol.

Like (0 likes)
OK, since I'm the only one that doesn't like this thing, tell me how you get it to clean off the insides of the bowl all the way down to the bottom, please? OR do you all scrape the bowl during the mixing process. Unless I'm doing bread or pizza dough, it always has stuff stuck to the bottom it doesn't seem to reach. We asked a rep we saw at a kitchen store once and he told us about an adjustment screw, but that didn't help.

Take me home Country Roads to the place I belong...
Like (0 likes)
You know, I don't really clean it off all the way to the bottom- I mean, I use the scraper, and its kinda clumsy, but you can get down the side and around the bottom, and then start back up again. I think part of the trick is also to run the mixer for a minute at higher speed to incorporate all the stuff. Sometimes I have to scrape three or four times, but it seems to work.

Like (0 likes)
We have always scraped the sides (in fact I was taught from a young age to scrape even using my mother's old Sunbeam with the glass bowl). We recently got this spatula from Williams-Sonoma that works like a charm!

Like (0 likes)
quote:
this thing, tell me how you get it to clean off the insides of the bowl all the way down to the bottom,

T-quilt, I think you have the opposite problem from this guy -- you need to adjust the beater down instead of up like he's showing (same screw, just turn the otherway):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwhrqJVkYc

I've isolated why mine was at the dump, but I think I can fix it if I can find the right directions.

The rheostat that controls the speed is out of alignment so it doesn't turn on...unfortunately the closest I've come so far is finding out the repair shops have a special tool they use to gauge when it's in alignment. One of the spring-loaded screws that holds it in place was bent, HOW on earth you'd ever bend it is beyond me (short of a nine year old playing with some tools taking apart appliances when no one was watching...don't ask me how I know that Big Grin )

Hopefully a bit more searching (just haven't had the combination of time + enthusiasm to do so yet) I can find some DIY repair info for that.

I found a bowl + beaters set for $30 bucks on Craigslist but I actually tried to turn on the mixer before I pulled the gun to buy that set...would kind of like to know I can get it working before I sink any money into this project. (Already spent 49 cents for a new stainless screw to replace the bent one!)

Like (0 likes)
Oh...I may have found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...xh3o&feature=related

Will need to play later after work.

Like (0 likes)
Matt, I usually put the wet ingredients in the bowl first. Then add the dry. I lift the beater out of the way and scrape the sides down as far as I can. I use one of those spoonulas.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image