Forums
Search

Organic Apple Festival - Rodale Institute

We went to the Organic Apple Festival today at the Rodale Institute Organic Farm in Emmaus PA. Here is a link if you are interested in reading about what they do there.

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/

This is where the test gardens are located for their veggies. They must be trying out different types of raised beds so I took some photos for those of you who like raised beds. Most of their own raised beds were just soil piled up above ground level without frames and I took some pics of that as well.

The festival itself was quite nice and the public is invited to pick and purchase all of the organic apples that they wish in a number of different varieties. They also had their orchardist on hand to answer questions about growing fruit organically. The apple picking was a big hit with people.

We enjoyed speaking with the organic beekeeper and got a couple of new ideas.

They had lots of yummy organic foods like milk, cheese and honey for samples. We also took a ride in a tractor drawn wagon and were given a tour of the farm.

Here's Maria Rodale cooking organic hot dogs. I spoke with her for a few minutes.

Wagon tour.

Here's how they do most of their raised beds.

I love this look of islands of beds with pathways in between.

This is how they do their herb beds. They are grouped by what they are used for.

Another herb bed.

They dug a rice paddy which was interesting and just full of frogs!

Root cellar for storage

Compost piles for the gardens are nothing formal or fancy although they do have windrows (long piles) of compost that they use out on the farm.

Interesting raised bed.

Here's another interesting one.

And another

And another

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

i watch a show on pubic television called: growing a greener world - they had a show on the rodale institute, it was cool, w/ interviews and all, lots of video of course, i enjoyed it alot.

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
Great photo's.

Live, Love & Garden, veggie gal

Coastal Newport Beach, CA, Zone 10b

Like (0 likes)
Wow. A little garden rice paddy. Very interesting.

Thanks for the pics, Brown.

Chicago burb, Zone 6a 

Like (0 likes)
Ahhhhh! My buddy with a camera!

Yuck, dial up..............I'll view those pics by morning!

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Rexx, my husband , daughter and her 5 children went to Rodale this spring, very interesting place. I didn't know they had an apple festival, I definetly would have been interested. I'll have to remember that for next year. Thanks for the pictures, I didn't see some of those raised beds when we were there.

Like (0 likes)
Great pics, thanks for posting them.

USA-Zone 5b

Like (0 likes)
Thank you for taking us along on your tour! Did you bring us back a hot dog?
How were the apples?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
Thank you for posting the pics. Must be nice to have that much space.

Coastal Southern CA, USDA 10, Sunset 22

"Nothing is as optimistic as a seed catalog." Charles Mann

Like (0 likes)
Karen, we didn't try any of the apples except of a personal sized apple pie which was fabulous but I did take a close look at the apples and they had quite a few blemishes just like our organic grown fruit at home so it made me feel good about ours.

Blemished or not, People were lining up to get bushel baskets and head to the orchard to pick the apples.

I think that they said that they started the apple orchard in 1982 when it was believed by eveyone that organic apples could not be grown on the East coast.

On the tour they also pointed out some cows belonging to their neighbor and told us that they wanted to be an organic dairy farm but didn't have enough acres of pastures to qualify as certified organic. So the Rodale Institute allows the neighbors cows to graze on the OG pastures which are certified and they get the benefit of the manure.

Yes, I was very interested to hear that they DO use manure including chicken manure which they mix into their compost. Years ago they tried not using animal manures and they said that it is not as easy to get the nitrogen content up so they said that they quit trying to separate animal and vegetable production. Interesting.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
The first raised bed pictured looks like the place they stash former editors or annoying subscribers.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
Great pixs and thanks for taking us along. Liked the rice paddy and the compost pile pics.
Bet it was great in person! Wink

Zone 7b Northeast Ga.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image