Forums
Search

Oregon spring tomato....

So I was going over all the catalogs....one of them had this to say about Oregon spring.

Plant out 4 weeks BEFORE last frost date....supposedly - this guy can handle it - cover only for frost. that would be April 15th here!

Anyone experienced with this tomato? Can it take it, or is this a typo???? Eeker

do you think that it meant to start the seed at that time indoors? which catalog? I have to see that one...snow would still be melting here..lol

Like (0 likes)
Territorial spring 2011 catalog...

Also says it it is parthenocarpic - forming fruit without pollination....

I'm going to try this one! Anyone else in??

Like (0 likes)
I haven't looked at that catalog yet..tonight, yes tonight... Smiler

Like (0 likes)
Nope - Mrs.T-Bird speaks the truth. Here's the info from Territorial:

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1137/s

I'd be interested in hearing how they taste, because whenever plant breeders find something wonderful that helps plant culture, many times flavor suffers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
Oh my I might have to try it. But I'm with BreezyGardener...I no longer care for early or pretty fruit. Taste is the most important thing. Second, I like producers that last longer than most. For example, the Jolly Elf grape tomato was not spectacular during the regular season. I found the skin a little thick and the taste, while nice right off the vine but not particularly sweet, diminished in quality extremely fast after picking. But what makes it one of my favorites is that I'm still picking them after all my other tomatoes are long gone.

Like (0 likes)
going to have to try that variety, I'de been loking for a determinate varitey plum for sauce anyway..good lead MrsT Smiler

Like (0 likes)
I've tried this tomato and I didn't like the flavor, and as I look around the internet I see about 50% of people have had the same disappointing results. It is supposed to be able to take light frost, I'm not sure what this means. Is it 2-3 hours of it before the sun gets on it? Does it need to be a pretty good sized plant before it can take it? Usually little transplants are more vulnerable.

Plus it's determinate, so only one crop of tomatoes and it dies. Not that that's a problem, just be prepared for that to happen and don't blame yourself Smiler And have other tomatoes to take its place.

I think it's a lot easier to keep the really delicious ones in large pots until you can put them out.

============= Love your soil.....feed your worms... (Used to be Sweetpea, contributing here since 2002)
Like (0 likes)
They seem to have good seeds
in the Pacific Nortwest area.

bill in socal

Like (0 likes)
The name Oregon Spring sounded so familiar so I looked back in my garden notes and sure enough, I grew these back in 2009. I have down that the taste was not very good. Thats all I have written and I don't remember anything else about them. I don't even have any extra seeds saved so I really must not of liked them. I usually save extra seeds just in case.

Northern Il,along the Fox River.

Like (0 likes)
I grew Oregon Spring one year and it won't happen again. Like several others have stated, the taste leaves a whole lot to be desired. Some of the garden mags refer to it as "mild", but I'd call it BLAND.

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

The high Utah Desert---Zone 3 to 5

(it's a crap shoot every year)

Like (0 likes)
I want to mention I grew this variety in 2009. They were under-achievers with poor production, not vigorous and not tasty. As far as I am concerned Stupice is the best red early tomato. I am also trying Manitoba this year. Amy Goldman said it had great taste.

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by Little Minnie:
As far as I am concerned Stupice is the best red early tomato.

I agree with Minnie. I grew Stupice last year and thought they were terrific. I wish they had a little more "tang" but overall they produced extremely well, they tasted pretty darn good, and they dried exceptionally well. I'm growing them again this year for sure.

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

The high Utah Desert---Zone 3 to 5

(it's a crap shoot every year)

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image