Forums
Search

Safety of Pyola insect spray

Hi everybody!

I'm not really one to spray anything, so am a bit uneducated about the whole process...last year I lost all my squash to squash bugs, so this year I got some pyola spray from Garden's alive. I was out there today spraying, as the squash bugs are going full force again. Should I be careful when using this stuff? Like mask/gloves? What if I get some on my gardening gloves and accidently wipe my face? (Which is what happened) Then my sprayer nozzle got clogged, and I had to release the air pressure, so got a whoosh near my face.
I am a bit concerned now thinking about it.
Because it's organic, is it perfectly safe for humans? Or should I still be careful? My 4 year old son was also in the garden nearby, although I did not let him near the sprayer.
The garden's alive site does not give much information about this kind of thing.
Thanks for your knowledge!

------------------------------ A 'struggling' Florida gardener
Remember, muddyfeet, just because something claims to be 'natural' or 'organic' doesn't mean it's always safe. Even organic/natural herbicides and pesticides should always be handled w/care. I'd wear gloves and take care not to wipe my face or certainly not come near my eyes w/even insecticidal spray or homemade remedies that I may use in the garden.

Never spray any herbicide/pesticide when temps are in the high eighties and especially not over 90. Don't do it while bees are present or on a windy day and not at midday, but in early morning or late at night. (Always check under leaves for sleeping bees first. Smiler Seriously.) Also don't use the Pyola around children or pets.

Here's some further info about Pyola from ATTRA Sustainable Ag. Website. Also this from Gardens Alive! that you may have already read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
Thanks Gardenz

I will be more careful next time, thanks for the websites. The first one did say it was much less toxic to mammals and birds than other insecticides, none the less, it's still a poison. I did not see any bees while I was spraying, but I got a poor grasshopper by mistake. Frowner
I guess this stuff is not selective either, and will kill any bug...good or bad.

------------------------------ A 'struggling' Florida gardener
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image