Forums
Search

When to pick Jalapeno peppers?

This is the first time I have ever grown Jalapeno peppers.My plants are full of small peppers currently and I just don't know when is the right time to pick them? Any help would be appreciated.

Most varieties are 2 1/2" - 3" long when mature; and take 60-75 days to mature. I've found that when you bend the pepper tip up, if it is ready, it will come off the plant easily. You can also tell by looking at the seeds to see if they are mature. They are good at all stages so don't be too concerned. Most varieties are prolific and the more you pick, the more the plants make. Hope that helps. Guess you know that if you will be removing the seeds from them, to freeze etc., wear gloves!

Zone 9 Melbourne, Fl. Gardening is a class in continuing education. Enjoy!
Like (0 likes)
Janebea:
You can pick the peppers at any time. If you want the maximum heat and flavor, wait until they start to develop the white crack-like lines through them. Also if you stress the plants when the peppers are about to mature you will get a hotter pepper.

Like (0 likes)
Peppers, the true test of ripeness is to bite one...
No matter the variety, most turn from green to another color as they mature. Jalapenos start to get black in their color as they mature. If you have lots of peppers and need a few to cook with, pick a couple and take a bite...just be sure to have a ripe tomato at hand to quell the heat.

Like (0 likes)
...was actually wondering about this today! B-)

Like (0 likes)
It all depends on what you are using them for! Most Mexican recipes call for green jalapeños, unless you are smoking your own chipotles. If using in SE Asian dishes (not authentic, but often called for as a passable substitute) usually red, though sometimes green. If you are making a salsa or a salad, in which they will be added raw, try it half and half, and see which you like! Experiment, and you may find some odd favorites.

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image