Forums
Search

Those electronic book reader things

Kindle, don't know other names.

Do I want one for Xmas?

I like a real book, that I can turn real pages, but..............

the library seems to be getting more electronic books than real books these days.

How do I know I am getting a good book reader?

I tried to google stuff, but it all is written in some strange language. Roll Eyes

Who can explain a book reader and what to look for?

I don't care about price. I do care about EASE OF OPERATION.

Do you need WI FI for these things? Or not?

MARYLAND zone 6
I don't read on an e-book reader, but my husband does. He is good with computer stuff. I just picked his brain.

He chose a kindle because reviewers rated the screen as better to read from.
Also everything he had on epub he could convert to mobi (see below)

the two top rated ereaders are kindle and nook
the fundamental choice between the two are what files you can read on them (books are on a particular file)

nook reads epub
kindle reads mobi

many readers will limit what kinds of files (i.e.books) you can read on them. Kindles are the most restrictive. If you find a reader that that can read both of these you might be most happy

he bought the low end kindle and then chose to pay a little more to not have ads displayed

reasons he chose low end kindle: it is very light (especially good for those big, thick heavy books!); the low end is not back lit like a computer screen so it is easier to read as it is more like reading paper. You need a lamp at night to read it) Also it is not a "touch" kindle meaning when you touch the screen all kinds of things can happen.(!) He's glad he doesn't have a touch kindle as he tends to grab his kindle by the screen and with a touch you have to handle the kindle by its edges.

kindles and nooks can connect to wi-fi if/when you are at a coffee house, etc. They also connect through your computer.
So you don't need wi-fi at home. You can also pay about $20 for a charger or just recharge the reader through your computer

If money is no object the most current kindle model is 'paper white', which has better resolution (clearer text and pics) and also a built in light- but this is not a back lit screen- just a light that makes it so you could read in bed without a lamp on.

His final thoughts- check with your library to see what files their books are in (epub, mobi, etc). If your library has one format over the other you may want to choose the ereader that reads those.

This is more info than I ever thought I would know about kindles and readers!

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
Oh mY Goodness!

Thank you and your husband!

Now I've read the post 3 times.

So

1. check what my library has....epub or mobi.
2. kindle paper white is nice
3. I can connect through my home commputer so wi fi is not needed? Is that right? Tell him I have dial up. See what that might mean? Just slow download I guess? I'll need a usb cable like my camera has to download?

Am I thinking all this through properly?

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
A reader that reads both! epub and mobi

Do they make those?

I can't have anything I can't touch without a disaster happening!

Gotta remember to check that.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
I checked them all, and they are either too small and reasonably light, or a larger size but heavy. I much better prefer a real book.

USA-Zone 5b

Like (0 likes)
1. yes
2. sounds like it
3. yes wi fi not needed at home. But kindles and probably all readers will have the ability to connect through wi fi should you be out and about with it.

yes, dial up will slow things a bit, but the files for e books are really small so they won't take too long, unlike a movie which takes a while.
yes a cable is needed and the reader you choose should come with a cable

and yes there are some readers that will take both epub and mobi- they just aren't rated a s highly (screens not as easy to read from, etc

I say, go to a Best Buy, Walmart, etc- where ever they sell readers in your area- and put your hands on them, see what the screens are like, and what you can imagine feeling good about reading from.

I agree I prefer a book with paper pages to touch and feel. But I now know to not say *I won't ever get one*.... I said that about answering machines in the early 80's, computers in the 90's and a cell phone in the early 2000. And though I was a hold out and entered late, well.... I've purchased them all. We'll see what the next decade brings

Like (0 likes)
Hi Octave,

Yes, like you I prefer a real book,

but............seems I have to learn the new way. Libraries are going with this stuff. At first it seemed like maybe it would not catch on, well, I hoped it would not catch on.

It's caught in my neck of the woods. I'm terrible with change, but can adapt.

This electronic book thing though..............do you think there are enough people in the US to stop this change from paper to electronics?

Goodness, I love a tree, but a new one could be planted to take the place of the tree they used to make a book they printed.

Trees don't grow fast enough? We ruin the soil they grow on while harvsting with all those machines?

So many good questions.

I'm sure many people who hate to read, and it amazes me about the number of people who would rather die than pick up a book, whether it be fiction or fact.

Well, I decided to shut my mouth.

I like to read many things.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Desertwoman,

I want to make sure you understand how grateful I am that you took the time to educate me on this. And thank your hubby for helping you help me understand things. Right now I feel armed with enough knowlege to search and purchase. Yesterday, I was clueless on all aspects of this kindle, book reader,

And the strange word crap:

epub
mobi

Eekerhahahaha

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Desert woman was clear and concise..personally I got an iPad because my computer was shot..and I love reading a real book. That being said, you see a book that you like on amazon and a min later you have it to read...now THAT is really great and dangerous as well...

Like (0 likes)
oh good lisaaann- tell us tales of your 'hunt and gather' foray.

And fortunately our library is still filled to the rafters with books and new ones coming in all the time.

I have many many books filling shelves in 3 rooms and I can't imagine there will come a time when they stop printing books completely. I may be naive. But I know a lot of people- young and old- who love their books and continue to buy print books and borrow from libraries and request print books from libraries. I have great hope books will be with us a long time. along with electronic books.

oooh CLAUDE.... I don't know if I am ready for such instant gratification Eeker

Like (0 likes)
Desertwoman, I thank you also for the info. DS says he is buying me one for Christmas. I have also read that the Kindle HD uses lots of battery power.

Heck I don't even have a smart phone, this will be a real challenge for me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I tend to like to keep my stuff "compartmentalized" - rather than an all in one device. So I have my computer(s), I have an iPod, and I have my Kindle.

I am/was a serious reader, and had the same concerns about an eReader. I like turning pages, I like the feel of a book, I like having two pages visible at once.... I love everything about the Kindle, although I think I have a low end model. No backlighting, so I do keep a booklight with me, light, easy to navigate (keyboard, not touch screen). Everyone in the family has gotten one, and we share the archive.

Between PDF books, the free selection at Amazon, and my book budget, I have no short supply of reading! I will note that some books really don't work on the Kindle for me - like cookbooks.

My purchase decision (Kindle or Nook) was eventually made based on pricing and convenience of shipping.

They say happiness is a thing you can't touch, a thing you can't see;

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
I agree with NCGarden - cookbooks do not work on a kindle! I really don't want to be "turning the page" 15 times from the beginning to end of a recipe, when I could have a book open to two pages and see the entire recipe. And also related to cookbooks, the free and very cheap ones are just that, and the ones by good authors usually cost more than I pay for the real ones, when I get them 40 or 50% off, or even cheaper. The only advantage I can think of is that they don't take up space in there - I am now building my 3rd bookcase for my cookbooks! Eeker

Another type of reading I do is woodworking, and this does not work out too well, either. Picture a plan for something divided up into three or four screens! LOL I will say, however, it is VERY legible - much more so than many books and magazines these days, which seem to be skimping on their printing.

I got an older version of Kindle fire back in spring, and I figured they were putting out an update, since they were giving a deal. I didn't really need any more memory - I still only have less than 10% of it used - and I use it mostly for web searching and e-mails. More convenient than going up to my computer room and turning it on, any time I want to look up something! You will need a router, if you don't have one already.

So, Lisa, it all depends on how you will use it. Does it sound like you will want it now?

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
I love my Kindle. I didn't think I would but I do. I can not connect at home and that is a bit of a pain, but I download books either at the University or just a WIFI spot. I can read anything I want. I always have a new book and most of them are free except the new stuff that I want to read. I hear of a book I want to read and I can down load it right away (well if I am near a WIFI) it is great! I bring the Kindle with me where ever I go. Read in the waiting room or when DS was in the hospital. Or I can play word games on it. The books are stored in my "cloud" on line so even if I break my Kindle I still have all my "books."

God Almighty first planted a garden. And indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures. Francis Bacon

Virginia  Zone 7

Like (0 likes)
There's one great thing about analog books that a Kindle, Nook, IPad or any other electronic reading device can't duplicate.
That SMELL!
There aren't many things in this world that SMELL as good as a brand-new book!

C'mon, am I the only serious reader who opens up a book and SMELLS those spanking new pages before starting to read?
And "no" I'm not some kind of nut.
Oh yeah, well same to you, pal. Mad

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

The high Utah Desert---Zone 3 to 5

(it's a crap shoot every year)

Like (0 likes)
A Brand New book! ahhhhhh. Dang, I am a library girl. Everyone has already sniffed the smell out of them. Mad

I'm gonna go out there and admire those readers, maybe tomorrow.

Had to write a list of stuff about what to look for first. I'd get to the store and go braindead if I didn't write all the stuff to look for first.

Still might go into shock, trying to decypher it all.

Another question?

Is a reader just a reader? Or can you get on there just like the internet?

What I mean is:

Could I pull up the OG forums?

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Ah, the smell of books. Even library books have their own smell. They have history!

If you are looking to substitute your computer, look at an iPad.
Also, kindle "fire' is a downgraded version of an iPad.

with both of these you could check email, go on line and read books. These will have back-lit screens, like a computer, so reading books would be like reading them off a computer screen.
And you should think about weight. When you are test driving them try to imagine holding that weight while you are reading a book.
Also these are both *touch screens* so when you inadvertently touch the screen while handling it, it will be responsive and start to show things on the screen

Even with the low end kindle you can go on line.
They are calling it "experimental". But it is awkward to use. Again, the advantage to these are that they are very light and the screens are not back lit so reading off of them is more like reading paper.

Handle them, imagine, play with it. You don't have to make a decision that same day.

Like (0 likes)
I can go online, check my email, etc. with my Kindle, but I don't. I am a keyboarder from way back, and type very fast, but I am a 10 finger typist and trying to use just my thumbs or index fingers makes me crazy.

So I like to type on a keyboard and save my navigating for the computer.

They say happiness is a thing you can't touch, a thing you can't see;

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by NCGarden:
I can go online, check my email, etc. with my Kindle, but I don't. I am a keyboarder from way back, and type very fast, but I am a 10 finger typist and trying to use just my thumbs or index fingers makes me crazy.

So I like to type on a keyboard and save my navigating for the computer.

I agree with you - I only post on the Kindle if it will be very short. Otherwise, I wait until I go to my PC. I never understood how people can waste so much time texting!

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
Well.

I didn't go today, weather was too nice when I got home. 65º Woo hoo! Cleaned up a few things in short order, and then, planned a surprise for Hubby when he got home tonight............... It will be a DIRT PIT type of thread in a minute.

Okay more notes. I'm a regular computer girl, but did wonder if these things have that capability. Thanks for the additional information. By the way, I still type with my pointers, Big Grin 36 years ago, I could use all ten, BUT, I peeked! hahahahahahhaha My mother was a 200 hundred word a minute woman, and you should have seen how fast she did shorthand.

Anyone here do the old standard shorthand? I guess it must remind the kids of today of LOL, DS, DD.................hMMMMMMMMMMM.

Now for a complaining thread............

http://forums.organicgardening...1078301/m/9411038377

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
I learned shorthand in high school, even used it on my job way back when. Now it has gone to the dark recesses of my mind and I hardly remember any of it! I was pretty good at it. I type pretty fast too, used to be around 90 wpm, probably slower now.

I am also trying to learn about the Kindle, DS has mentioned I need one for Christmas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I am also a 10 finger typist and really prefer a keyboard to a touch screen. It may be old fashioned but I don't enjoy typing with my thumbs.

I also like the smell of a new book or the glossiness of the pages in a new gardening book. I have been known to rub my hands over the pages as I am enjoying turning the page.

I use the library too but those books don't always smell as good!

No Kindle for me. I have enough electronics.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Lisaaann,

You might consider a Nexus 7 like I have. You can download both Kindle and Nook apps and then read from both formats, plus have all the advantages a normal tablet device gives you.

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

The high Utah Desert---Zone 3 to 5

(it's a crap shoot every year)

Like (0 likes)
I am an avid book reader, and going into a library gave me the same sense that going into the church does, peace.

That being said, I have had terrible pain in my thumbs for the last several years. Nearly debilitating. A year ago, I was given an ipad, at school to try it out. When I licked my finger to "turn" the page, I knew I had been had. Since I have gone to predominantly reading on the ipad, my hands have improved dramatically. It was holding that book 4-5 hours per night.

In a moment, I will get into my comfy pj's, take a cup of tea with me, and go to the library in my bed. I check out books from our state library. I have read a greater variety of books this last year, as getting and returning books is so easy.

I was a huge fan of books, love to read, and was amazed at how satisfied I am slipping over to the electronic word. I have slowly started to buy my favorite authors on the electronic format, even if I have the book on the shelf, I just like to read better with my ipad.

As for the wifi- if you can possibly get it, do so. The world is there, and it is worth it. And get it wireless, these gadgets are not going away, they are more and more prevalent, my as join them.

I think you will love it. MrsK

Like (0 likes)
I've been rereading all this advice, because............These things are harder than they look to decide on.

I was trying to make an informed decision without having to ask my son for help.

I've decided to face the fact that I need my son more than he needs me! Hahahahah

Well at least on anything electronic!

He still needs me for motherly advice. Hmmmmm?

Well, he needs me when the leaves are piling up in his yard! THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image