Forums
Search

what to do with all these sunflower stalks?

I just harvested 40 sunflowers and have 40 12' stalks.
I want to put them into my compost but need to shred them first. the problem is the stalks are up to 8.25 inches round and will clog the lawnmower blade.
does someone have a good method to shred them?
:O ?:| :|

I used a machete on an improvised chopping block when I had peanut vines that I wanted to till in. I figured they'd get all wrapped up around my tiller tines, so I chopped 'em into little pieces.
I take it you don't have access to a chopper/shredder? You could always call around to your local rental stores, and see if they have one you could rent for a half day. (Make sure to check Home Depot - one of their newer stores down here has a rental department.)

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)
Sunflower stalks can be used to direct air into compost piles.
They also make invaluable staking material for pole beans, and cut down a little shorter, tomatoes and other tall plants.
They'll last about two seasons when left exposed to the elements. But by the time they start to rot, you'll have a renewed supply!

Like (0 likes)
My wife and I went to a party last night, and we stopped on the way to get something for the hostess. We paid 6.99 for 5 sunflowers. I was a little upset. Sort of the same feeling I get paying for pomegranates when I used to have a tree. Next year, I'm growing more cut flowers!

Like (0 likes)
Wait until they dry out and then stomp all over them. They make great "bases" for compost piles.

Like (0 likes)
Here in the southwest, where the climate is dry and windy, and wild sunflowers grow in abundance, I've seen beautiful windbreak fences and portal roofs made out of the seemingly indestructible sunflower stalk. we also use it as kindling for our wood stove. KP

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image