Forums
Search

can beets stay in the ground

Hi. My first year with a bunch of veggies on my hands! The beets look "done." Can I leave some in the ground and pick as needed until it gets cold -- or do I have to harvest them now? The early thinnings were yummy. Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - Elizabeth www.WordCures.com
We in Washington State will leave Beets in the ground past the first frost, they can be kept in the ground longer if you mulch them with leaves and straw......

Mark from Washougal

Like (0 likes)
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Smiler

Like (0 likes)
My mother-in-law always dug a hole in the garden and would lay an old piece of carpet on the top of the veggies and then covered it with some soil. When you need to go to get your vegetables, lift a corner of the carpet and reach in. Her carrots, beets, and winter squash would stay good in the hole for some time.

Like (0 likes)
I could be wrong here but I thought that beets were one of the veggies that would get tough and woody if left in the ground. I have had great luck leaving carrots in the ground with heavy mulching but not beets. Maybe it all depends on where you are located and how old the beets were at the end of the season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
I guess here in ND I wouldn't plan on leaving them much past Sept anyway. Just wondered if there was a rush right now. I see pickled beets in my future...

Like (0 likes)
my beets keep in the soil-for as long as they are kept watered, anyway...

Ambitious gardener and target shooter, formerly known as needmorespace. Studying chemistry for a better solar panel, not a better insecticide...
Like (0 likes)
Wow...learn something new every day...I'd never thought that the beets would be able to "stay" in the ground...do they continue to grow?

Kim ROLL TIDE!!
Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by needmorespace:
my beets keep in the soil-for as long as they are kept watered, anyway...

i agree with major on this one beet get woody if left in the ground to long and carrot will too depending on the conditions.

Like (0 likes)
Liz1 Another ND member! I don't see many around in cyberspace Wink. I'm in the SE corner of the state. We have our unique gardening challenges.

Like (0 likes)
Hi Pogo. I don't see many of us out here either & am new to this forum myself. I'm in north central ND - about 60 miles south of the Manitoba / Sask border. Hot & dry this year,huh?

Like (0 likes)
Yes! hot and dry everywhere. Just the opposite of last summer. At least the mosquito population is much more tolerable this summer.

Like (0 likes)
Beets are OK left in the ground even past the first frost. Yes they will continue to grow.
They may get softball size.

I covered some and left them over winter like I do my carrots, but alas in the spring they had lost their flavor and goodness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image