Forums
Search

How do you depressurize your pressures cooker/canner?

Is there a secret to doing it quickly?

Have a great gardening day! hoe, hoe, hoe Pea

Upstate NY, zone 5

If you are canning there is only one way to depresurize and that is to wait. The book that came with your canner and any canning book will tell you to never try to speed the process along. That time it takes to depressurize is all part of the process.

Now if you've got a little pressure cooker for say cooking beans or something, you can gently wiggle the little jiggler thing on top and let off a little steam.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Doing it with jars in it will blow the jars up...but the little cooker, just take it to the sink, and run cool water over the top of it..I do it that way all the time. It is possible, if you lift the little jigger on top, you can get part of your food on you...the cool water works great.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)
Don't know about the canner but for the regular pressure cooker, I agree with farmhound...I always run water over it in the sink...you can hear when the pressure goes down.

I don't know what I'd do without my pressure cookers...I love them for so many things...especially for stuffed artichokes.
Smiler

~~~~ I garden ♥ therefore I am. ~~~~

~~~~ Zone 7a  Southeastern PA ~~~~ Member since 2002 ~~~~

Like (0 likes)
For certain, we love ours too. And the canner. Have cooked large amounts of pork and other items in it before using it to can what we were cooking.
And yeah. Think about it....inside that canner, you got 15 lbs of pressure and inside the jars, you have as much or more cause the heat builds up in the jars and cant get out because they have lids on them.. Now, you all of the sudden drop the pressure in the canner but not in the jars..its like knocking a window out of an airplane at 35000 feet.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)
Right on, if you are doing jars, just turn the heat off and wait until the pressure is down.

If you are cooking food not in jars, you can just lift off the weight and let the steam out. Depending on the recipe though, the time to cool and pressure to drop naturally may be part of the cooking time.

Heed the instructions that came with the cooker and read the recipe you are using.

Yes, on the small pressure cookers, I too have carried them to the sink and ran water on the lid. I would not do that with a large cooker though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image